Questions from a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meldusa000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi - new here and hoping for some answers!

We aquired a 10g tank from some friends and bought our first fish over the weekend - two goldfish and what we were told was a pleco (I'm pretty sure it is at this point). The pet store lady sold us what she said was the best filter for a 10g tank.
We lost one goldfish because it got stuck in the intake tube of the filter:( The other goldfish is a lionhead. I've been watching the remaining fish very closely since I've discovered we didn't do enough research - something I've been doing constantly since!
Before much research, I had gotten algae tabs. Well, the goldfish ate it before the pleco had a chance. All day yesterday the pleco seemed to have trouble getting a grip on the glass. Last night the pleco was putting his nose outside the water and this evening he was floating upside down on the top of the water. I thought he was dead, but he moved when he got into the flow of the filter. I know he may be struggling for oxygen. We did a 20% water change (conditioning the water as we went) immediately. last I looked he was swimimng against the wall quickly and still unable to keep a grip on the glass. I'm also afraid he's starving from not enough algae.
My other question is about the current from the filter. I think the lionhead is struggling when it crosses through the current. I thought I read strong currents were okay and would just like some confirmation...
Lastly, how important is it to have the light on? It really heats up the water that is already in a warm area of the house. The window gets great natural light, but is this enough?
Thanks for reading my book, I hope I can save my fish!

Welcome to AA!

Now for the answers lol. IMHO 10 gallons is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small for two goldfish and a pleco, or even one goldfish and a pleco, or even one of those period. Did you cycle your tank? I suggest you read this : http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html and this: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html . Here is yet another link: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/24/1/Nitrogen-Cycle-/Page1.html

I suggest you keep doing water changes daily and get a liquid test kit to test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates because your tank is probably cycling and killing the fish. All of those are messy fish and have very large bioloads. You should also get a thermometer and see how hot the water is getting, most goldfish are coldwater I believe. Temp shouldn't be too big of a deal unless it fluctuates quickly in a short amount of time.

Last edited:
you can feed the pleco zucchini. if its a common pleco which most likely is they get to around 2 feet. a health goldfish shouldnt have any problem with the current of the filter. i would get a test kit. right now iw ould be doing at least daily 50-75%+ water changes.

good luck.

Daily water changes? Wow - I haven't read that before. Because we didn't cycle, right?
The link on cycling was informative - thank you.
We're already looking at getting a bigger tank. Again wishing we would have researched ahead of time on stocking our free fish tank. Probably would have started with something else!
Temp stays between 72-78 right now, which I've read both fish can handle.
Think we'll either get a timer for the lights or turn on when we get home, out when we go to bed (about 6 hours and at the cooler part of the day for the summer). We want some algae growth for the pleco, right?
We'll get a test kit too.
Thanks for the help - didn't realize getting my 2 kids some fish would make me a parent of 4!

You need to change the water every day to keep the ammonia and nitrItes down. Both will kill your fish. :( If you check out the links LogansMomma posted, it will explain it better than I can.
Temp swings are not good for fish, it's stressful, so try to keep the temp around 72* I believe for the goldies. I would google lionhead goldfish care, and see what it says.
I would see if you can take one of the goldies and the pleco back if possible, or get a MUCH bigger tank. The first goldie needs 15+ gallons, and 10 gallons for the second one. The pleco can get huge (if it's a common pleco) and will need a ginormous tank. ;)

Again wishing we would have researched ahead of time on stocking our free fish tank. Probably would have started with something else!
Hey a lot of us do that! I bought a 10 gallon tank at Walmart on impulse and started looking around for info. I ended up here and I definitely did not know so much went into it. I was one of those people who thinks, "add some water, keep the pH right and throw in some fish."

I absolutely love it here and I hope you will learn as much from this site as I have. If you keep an open mind and don't mind having controversial conversations once in a while then you will probably learn a lot :invasion:
Thanks for the help - didn't realize getting my 2 kids some fish would make me a parent of 4!

I know they become a part of the family! I have a 6 month old and now I have my cat and the fish and it's definitely like having 3 kids for me. Soon to be 7 when I get my otos lol. Octo- mom has a whole new meaning

Another one gone..

Well, Darth :vader:(the pleco) didn't make it :(.
Went to pet store and got a test kit. Ammonia was in stress level, so I did partial water change and brought it down to safe!
All the other tests came out okay, except the KH was 80, Gh was 75, while the pH was 7.2. How do I bring the KH up and keep the pH safe??? Not sure...will probably do some research on that...

I'm putting everything I got into keeping the last goldfish alive!

So after all the cycling, the ammonia and other levels will even out over time right? So I won't need to do daily changes?

How often should I vaccuum the gravel during the cycling process?

Thanks again for all your help! I hope I can fix this!!

Well, Darth :vader:(the pleco) didn't make it :(.
Went to pet store and got a test kit. Ammonia was in stress level, so I did partial water change and brought it down to safe!
All the other tests came out okay, except the KH was 80, Gh was 75, while the pH was 7.2. How do I bring the KH up and keep the pH safe??? Not sure...will probably do some research on that...

What test kit did you get? I don't remember if this was already covered and am too lazy to go back through the posts atm but liquid test kit will be well worth your money. Strips are highly innacurate. I know pH isn't a big deal as long as it doesn't fluctuate. Most fish can handle different pH's aside from the super sensitive ones like discus. However if your water is different pH than what the fish was in when you got it I suggest drip acclimating them. That is a whole 'nother discussion though lol

EDIT: I am not sure about kh but I haven't read a whole lot on that and it seems to be the same as pH as far as I know, but researching is always the best way to learn this stuff ! :) for me anyways

I'm putting everything I got into keeping the last goldfish alive!

So after all the cycling, the ammonia and other levels will even out over time right? So I won't need to do daily changes?

How often should I vaccuum the gravel during the cycling process?

Thanks again for all your help! I hope I can fix this!!

Yes your levels will all even out and you will only need (or should do ) water changes once a week. You should still check your levels every other day or so though until you are sure that the tank is stable. You should NOT vacuum anything or clean anything until you have cycled as cleaning will only stall the cycle. The bacteria you are trying to build up lives in the substrate, decorations, filter media and whatnot so you want to let it build up. I would say once you are fully cycled do a 50-60% water change and then keep an eye on things. Hopefully your goldie will make it!

RIP Darth. :(
I would do a pwc every single day, two if you have to, of 50-70%. And I would vacuum half the gravel the first 3 or so times, to get any uneaten food out of there, since it rots and causes ammonia.
When I first started, I didn't know about the cycle either, and I did 1-2 pwc's every single day for 4 weeks before my tank was cycled, and my fish made it through!

I know I read the strips weren't the greatest, but I'm afraid to spend the $$ on the other kits right away. If the goldfish doesn't make it, I'm going to start over the RIGHT way and stock the 10g correctly. If he does, he'll probably be our one and only for a while...
Yes, I'll end up getting the other test kits, just working on what I can afford for the time being.

I know how that goes! The strips are OK for a wide range reading but they won't do much good as to exactly how much your levels are. As long sas you keep doing your water changes you should be able to make it :) And yes I didn't know how much money goes into this hobby either. I have put a lot into mine already in the course of a month or two. It seems like a lot longer though since I have had this thing

The liquid one is cheaper in the long run too, so you will actually save money. :) I know how hard it is to go drop a bunch of money on one test kit....The only one I could find quickly in my area was $50. DOH! But you can get one online at www.fostersmithaquatics.com for somewhere between $20-$30 that has the ammonia, nittrIte, nitrAte and pH tests in it. :)

I know I am usually such a cheap skate. I don't even pay 30$ on a nice shirt or something and I dropped it on that **** kit like no tmrw lol. I have been doing good with not blowing all my money on the tank(s) though, still needing that **** filter. I would carouse Craigslist but I don't trust used filters. I would get one off of here though. . . Idea! Off to classifieds lol

Okay, daily pwc for 4 days. Lightning (the last goldie) has been kind of "thrashing" around, more like shuddering. He seems to like swimming against the current the filter makes, but he's also swimming against or even at the walls more recently.
He definitly gets excited when we come home and turn the light on (feeding time) and is very curious when I do the water changes - swimming up to the pitcher when I get the water out and swimming through the bubbles when I pour the new water in. Tonight we re-planted (faux plant) one that was coming loose in the corner with another. Kicked up a bunch of stuff and he went crazy trying to get to it all. Should I be worried? I read they'll eat anything even if it makes them sick...
Still doing all I can to keep this one alive and well!

yea, i would say the strips were the waste of money, and the liquid kits are like liquid gold :D sure it's like 30 bucks, but it will last you a wicked long time. it will help you keep Lightning alive. it will also be a necessity when starting up another tank. trust me, if you want to be a successful aquarist, go with the liquid kit and ditch the strips. i bought a think of strips for like 10 bucks and they're just sitting in the cabinet collecting dust because no matter what it showed the same results EVERY time. i tested my API freshwater tests against them and those strips are just useless IMO.

i wouldn't be too worried about him eating the stuff kicked up from your substrate, unless it hadn't been cleaned in ages, but you just started your tank up recently so i wouldn't be too worried about it.

glad to hear you're taking it seriously and doing what you can to save Lightning. :) good luck

holy crap I wish I would have checked online! I got mine for 30$ at my LFS but that was the only place that had it :/

So far, so good with Lightning. He seems to be thriving. I can see now we're gonna need a bigger tank...

any links or references to some tips on "aquascaping"?? I can see I need to move everything away from the corners - he likes hanging out there.

Hoping to get the real test kit this weekend..

I'm hooked! (npi)

Back
Top Bottom