questions, questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sisserydoo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Everyone,
I posted my introductory post this morning, but then lost internet, so I couldn’t post my question.

So I got a 10 gallon fish tank given to me on Apr. 9th. My family talked me into putting fish in it the next day. I know I shouldn’t have done it, and I’m paying the price now.

I have one female black molly, and 4 zebra danios, and one apple snail.

Yesterday morning, when I got up the molly had white fuzz all over her eyes and mouth. I put in a Fungus Clear Tank Buddies tab last night when my husband got home with them, about 8pm.

So here are my questions:
The molly is not eating. I don’t think she can see the food. Will she starve before the fungus goes away?

The tabs and jungle website say to take out the carbon, but they don’t say for how long. It does say I can do another dose in four days. Should I leave out the carbon that long? It seems too long to me. Should I put the filter back in tonight and then take it out again if another dose is required?

Should I take out the decorations and clean them? There seems to be gunk hanging on the plastic plants.

I took out the apple snail until treatment is done, but noticed he has white fuzz on his shell. If I brush it off with a toothbrush, will that really get rid of it? Should I keep him separated forever just to be safe?

I don’t have a water testing kit yet, or a gravel filter. I was totally unprepared for this :eek:( But I do love my little molly and want to save her. I am buying a water tester asap, hopefully this weekend. Are there any chemicals I should buy while I’m at it that can fix potential water problems?

Thanks for all the help anyone can provide!

Melafix and aquarium salt... Also a 30 gallon tank in time, as your little Molly will get too big, and your little danios too active. It's natural for your fish not to eat when they're sick, so I'd be surprised if she was eating. She'll be fine for a few weeks. As for the test kit, API freshwater master kit Is the best, and is worth the price. Also, pick up some prime water conditioner if you can. Your regular water conditioner will work, but it might set back your cycle a bit. Also, welcome to AA!

if you use chemical treatments, remove the carbon and replace it with another filter material. the lfs will point you to the non-carbon ones. this is because the carbon naturally absorbs chemicals, thats its job. remove carbon, chemical treatments get to work without hassle.
if you add salt, maybe do a salt bath. you can use some table salts. only add small amounts of one teaspoon per gallon, no-additive salt, no anti-caking agent salt, and im not sure the snail can tolerate it.
yes on the cleaning of stuff. basically the cleaner the better.
as for the snails shell..... i looked it up and it seems fairly normal for stuff to stick to them so (as long as you yourself research it to be certain) you could probably brush it off.

one last thing after testing the pH nitrates nitrites etc and finding ideal chemical treatments, dont overload the tank. let it cycle, take it easy. sounds like enthusiasm got out of hand, as i have experienced countless times :p
the molly will outgrow the tank, but for now you have enough to worry about. its just wonderful that you care about it so much that your willing to medicate it. welcome to AA and best of luck xxxx

Thanks for all your responses so far. It’s really reassuring to know I have all these experienced people here to help me.

I do want to get a bigger tank, but I’ll actually need two. We’ve had three goldfish in a 10 gallon tank for five years, and I didn’t know they needed so much room until I started reading these posts. My daughter was given them at a church carnival, so we bought a 10gal and plunked them in. Now, after reading all this I’m surprised they’ve lived as long as they have. I think replacing that tank will be a priority. Until then, I’m going to make her change the filter every couple of weeks. You know how kids are, she never does it unless I make her!

But I do have hope for my molly now, and I will upgrade after the situation settles down. And when I get the funds, of course.

I do have one more question. As far as the additional dose in four days, is that just based on whether I can still see stuff on her?

Hi guys,
Just wanted to give an update.
I think the medicine is working! The white fuzzy stuff is gone from her lips and eye, but the eye is still opaque. I am going to put the second dose in Tuesday night if it still looks the same, unless you think I should not. I also cleaned off the plants and did a small water change, maybe 15%. The danios still seem to be doing great. I put the snail back in after wiping off his shell with a q-tip.
Also, best news of all, she is eating again!

Until then, I’m going to make her change the filter every couple of weeks. You know how kids are, she never does it unless I make her!

Good to hear that the Molly is doing better. I would encourage you to read about the Nitrogen cycle, in these forums there are sticky or pst related in how to cycle your tank with fish.

One thing really important is to NEVER replace the filter, or filter cartridges!! Here is where the good bacteria, that you are trying to grow, resides. The filters must be just rinse, using TANK water, and put them back, but don't replace them, does not matter what the directions of the manufacturer said.

If you rinse them with TAP water, the chlorine in the water will kill the good bacteria.

Read more and more about cycle the tank with fish...

Okay, wow! You mean like never in a million years replace it??? It has carbon in it, should I, as someone above mentioned, get a carbonless filter media? I am going to petsmart today, so I would like to know what everyone's advice is as to what to put in the filter. I'm also going to get the water testing kit so I can stay on top of the situation.

The filter is an aqua-tech 10-15, and looking in there it seems I could cram just about anything in there! Right now I'm using the refill + carbon that are sold as replacements.

But if I should just leave that in there I will. I did use it to remove the medicine for the molly if that makes any difference.

I really appreciate everyone's help and advice!!!

I would use carbonless filter media. Also, when the media is falling apart and needs to be replaced, keep peices of the old media with the new for a couple weeks to seed the new media. VERY IMPORTANT!!

I would use carbonless filter media. Also, when the media is falling apart and needs to be replaced, keep peices of the old media with the new for a couple weeks to seed the new media. VERY IMPORTANT!!
(y)

That is some sound advice .. Worst thing is trying to seed new bacteria into a new filter media from scratch:banghead: NO TAP WATER RINSING to clean of some gunk .. Aquarium water ONLY ... and NO COMPLETELY throwing away older filter media. Let it practically fall apart ..that bacteria in there is like gold.

Ahhhh...No petsmart in Bloomington, Ill???? Now I have to wait till Sunday to get it (we're going to Champaign).

It is so frustrating living in the middle of nowhere...:ermm:

Still, thanks for the advice. I will get what I need eventually.

Hi Guys!
Remember that molly I was so worried about? Well she had babies this morning, so I guess she likes her tank!
I had no idea she could even have any, since she has been without a male for 2 1/2 months, but I guess you learn something new every day. I was of course unprepared for this, so I've rigged up a little contraption with a tupperware with holes cut in the sides and covered with pantyhose. I need to get a baby net since it looks like I'll be having babies each month. She had twelve, and one died right away, so I have 11 left.
I hope the pet store wants mollies!

Any baby molly advice would be welcome :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom