quick cycle question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Viper said:
No offense intended, but how can you buy a fish with intentions of selling them back once they have gotten too big for your tank? Shouldn't you just not buy them in the first place?

No offense at all brother! But this is a hobby and with a wide selection of fish how can you just limit yourself to just a few fish? Dont get me wrong I do love my fish but if I can keep a variety in my tank time after time why not?

No offense at all brother! But this is a hobby and with a wide selection of fish how can you just limit yourself to just a few fish? Dont get me wrong I do love my fish but if I can keep a variety in my tank time after time why not?

You don't necessarily have to limit yourself to just a few fish. You have to be reasonable in your selection though. Having multiple fish that can get up to 10-12" in a 55 gallon tank actually limits the different kind of fish that you can keep MORE than sticking to fish appropriate for your tank size does.

I'm not saying that there is necessarily anything wrong with your approach to fish keeping. But I wouldn't be able to do it. I couldn't bring myself to buy a fish knowing that I was just going to return it once it got too big for my tank. One, I would become too attached to the fish after watching it mature and grow. And two, I would be worried about the fish's future after I returned it. I mean, there aren't many people that want to buy a matured fish. So more than likely it will spend the rest of its life in a small LFS tank or worse.

But hey, that's your prerogative, I'm just stating my point of view :)

Viper said:
You don't necessarily have to limit yourself to just a few fish. You have to be reasonable in your selection though. Having multiple fish that can get up to 10-12" in a 55 gallon tank actually limits the different kind of fish that you can keep MORE than sticking to fish appropriate for your tank size does.

I'm not saying that there is necessarily anything wrong with your approach to fish keeping. But I wouldn't be able to do it. I couldn't bring myself to buy a fish knowing that I was just going to return it once it got too big for my tank. One, I would become too attached to the fish after watching it mature and grow. And two, I would be worried about the fish's future after I returned it. I mean, there aren't many people that want to buy a matured fish. So more than likely it will spend the rest of its life in a small LFS tank or worse.

But hey, that's your prerogative, I'm just stating my point of view :)

I see your point of view but trust me I wouldn't return one back to a LFS I would def look for someone with a 100+ gallon tank! Some who would def benefit from my situation ;-)

Man that came out pimp! How long it take you? Is it made out of foam?

The actual creation of the background took about a week. The cement will raise the pH of the water for a while. You have to keep doing frequent water changes and eventually the cement will stop raising the pH. It took a couple months for me. But I wasn't as diligent as I could have been on the water changes so it could take less time.

And yes, its made out of polystyrene foam that I got from Home Depot for about 7 bucks for an 8'x4' piece.

The actual creation of the background took about a week. The cement will raise the pH of the water for a while. You have to keep doing frequent water changes and eventually the cement will stop raising the pH. It took a couple months for me. But I wasn't as diligent as I could have been on the water changes so it could take less time.

And yes, its made out of polystyrene foam that I got from Home Depot for about 7 bucks for an 8'x4' piece.

Man it looks so nice! keep it up! keep an update on that bad boy!

Thanks bro! I actually plan on getting a bigger tank in the not-so-distant future. Unfortunately I won't have that background anymore :/

lol it will work out it always does :) how much bigger are you trying to go? i just set up my 55 Gallon and now im wishing i went for a 125 :-( LOL

lol it will work out it always does :) how much bigger are you trying to go? i just set up my 55 Gallon and now im wishing i went for a 125 :-( LOL

LOL, I wish I could get the fiance (soon to be wife) to allow for a 125g tank. I'm shooting for a 90 gallon which is only 4 feet long. A 125 is 7 feet long and might be harder to swing haha.

Viper said:
LOL, I wish I could get the fiance (soon to be wife) to allow for a 125g tank. I'm shooting for a 90 gallon which is only 4 feet long. A 125 is 7 feet long and might be harder to swing haha.

Lol sucker in your wife with a great honey moon or even a dinner haha...I'm sure she would let you if you ask the right way!

Lol sucker in your wife with a great honey moon or even a dinner haha...I'm sure she would let you if you ask the right way!

Yeah, once we have the house completely furnished and I see what kind of room I have left, I might be able to butter her up a little bit :D

Viper said:
Yeah, once we have the house completely furnished and I see what kind of room I have left, I might be able to butter her up a little bit :D

Work your magic bro I know you got it in you lol

Back
Top Bottom