quick q about java fern and lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dropped

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey everyone, i have a 65 gallon tall tank that came with a single flourescent strip light. the bulb is an all-glass aquarium 25 watt. now from my reading, a planted tank requires about 2 watts per gallon.
i just purchased some java fern for my cichlid tank cause i've heard the java fern is a low light plant and the cichlids don't eat it. the substrate is crushed coral with the above mentioned bulb. i've attached the plants to rocks with thread. now what can i do to ensure that the plants will grow? i've heard that i should get a power glow bulb but will that be enough? i just want a couple of plants to complement the rockwork.. tia

i was afraid of that. so i must get a new light fixture? the single light is not enough? i just wanted like 2 or three java fern.

well your current fixture is giving you .38w/g. so id say no, its not enough.

Chances are that your Java Fern, Microsorium pteropus, will survive (but not thrive) at 0.38 watts per gallon. I've got that plant (along with others) growing in my 26 gallon with 15 watts (about 0.58 watts per gallon) and they're doing just fine! Java Ferns do not absorb nutrients through their rhizomes (ferns don't have true roots) but instead absorb it directly from the water through their leaves. Pick up some Seachem Flourish and dose at about half the recommended strength. You should be OK.

Back
Top Bottom