Quick Question Re: Mystery Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anteatergoanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, just a quicky lol...Will my loaches eat Mystery snail eggs?

I want to put 2 snails in my other tank ( not the tank that has loaches in), but I don't want to be over run, thought if they lay eggs, I can scrape them off and feed them to the "boys".

Thank you

Try to be patient for a response, it's only been an hour. I don't know if anyone knows since mystery snails lay eggs above the water line so the two don't have much of an interaction. You could always put the extra mystery snail babies in with the loaches if you ever had an issue of being overrun with them.

Mystery snails lay eggs outside the water line. Some new to laying will accidently lay their eggs to close to the water line and they will get wet and fall in. Then the fish will eat them. You could scrape them off and drop them in. Fish or snails will eat the egg casings. The baby snails will not develop underwater so none would hatch if you did that. Loaches will eat the baby snails but some could survive. Mystery snails lay a lot of eggs and even with hungry fish some can make it.

Thanks Wild, I've got a 30ltr which I have been breeding them in, just want to put the adults into the main tank, just don't want that to be over run. In another tank I have Clown Loaches, they love snails but I was just wondering if I scraped the eggs off the glass, would they eat those.

If they can find the egg cases they will probably eat them. I have a few clown loaches and when I purchased some plants I noticed some egg sacks. Ive never seen any snails and the egg sacks were gone the next day. It may not be worth the trouble if you have to scrape them off and put them in a different tank especially if they lay a significant amount of eggs before you can get to them.

Thanks Tang, I will give it a try, just hoping to avoid a mess. I have 2 adults and they are very active lol, I can't split them as I would hate to see what the Loaches would do with it. I have 2 tanks with a 3rd being cleaned up to get ready to go, but that is a long way off. I'll just put them in with the Angels and just scrape the eggs off.

Back
Top Bottom