Quick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so here's the deal, today was the first time I used the "Python" to fill up the 75G. I put the Prime in first and then put the hose in the tank to fill it. As I was filling it, my BGK would NOT stay away from the new water being put in! He loves to play in the current and bubbles so I think he thought that this was yet another toy for him. My question is, can he get sick from the chlorinated water coming out of the hose? Thanks lol!

I'm no expert on the python system, but I do know several people who add dechlor and tap water straight into the tank without pre-mixing the two without problems. Seems common practise by many. Also, I think that while chlorine is known to harm nitrifying bacteria and I don't think it harms your fish. I stand corrected on that should someone jumps in and advises otherwise.

I'm no expert on the python system, but I do know several people who add dechlor and tap water straight into the tank without pre-mixing the two without problems. Seems common practise by many. Also, I think that while chlorine is known to harm nitrifying bacteria and I don't think it harms your fish. I stand corrected on that should someone jumps in and advises otherwise.

I used to work at a LFS for 2 years, and when I did tank changes, I would drain the tank 25%, then add a squirt of Dechlor, then add tap water (chlorinated). At home, however, I drain the tank 25%, fill a container with water, dechlor it, then pour/siphon it in. Chlorine not only damages your biological filter, but I think it can burn/damage gills. However, I can't really say that my practices at the LFS affected the fish too much, since the water was really turbulent from powerheads on top of under-gravel filters, so any chlorine gassed off pretty quickly.

Ive never had a problem with doing pwc's with my python, except once. I had 2 zebra danios go suicicidal and swim up in the hose while filling my tank... They both died. Other than that, ive never had issues, and if it wouldnt take 500 trips with a bucket, id dechlor my water before adding it to my 150... (i do a 50% pwc, so 75 buckets back and forth from the sink would not be fun)

IME some types of fish are more at risk. Years ago before this area started using clormines i could treat the tank after filling the tank. Now that the water has clormines I treat the water before filling the tank. I lost a Bala Shark using the old way.

There is no way i would add the dechlorinater after i added the tap water with chlorine in it. As ezy said other fish are more sensitive then others. Especially your scaleless Black Ghost Knife. I would especially be careful with him swimming in the current. There is no problem with him doing that but if there is chlorine in the water you are putting in the tank i would not think of it as good. So what i would do is add the dechlorinater to the water you are going to put in the tank during the PWC like 5 minutes before you do the actual water change and sture it into the water real good and let it sit for a minute so it is mixed in nice and good. then put it into the tank after that. There is no reason to be nervous about your BGK playing in the current when filling the tank. Actually it is probably good for him since they naturaly come from slow moving rivers with some current. You might want to get a filter with a powerhead or maybe getting a small powerhead. My old BGK used to play in the current of our power filter and it was fun to watch. But with the PWC what i do is mix in the dechlorinater in before doing the PWC then stir it in and wait like 5 minutes then add the water.

Tunes, did you not read my post at all lol? He has 4 bubble pieces and 3 filter flows lol! He has plenty of current to play in. And I did put the Prime in first before I put in the tap water. So far he is fine. I did notice the other day that he has a deformed fin though, it's about half the size of his other one....I am kinda bummed, but he can still swim around fine, just wiggles his head a little when he is coming out of one of his houses. Thankfully he has the undulating fin to help him out.

I do it the same way with no issues, most of my fish seem to like the new water as its going in. I always run mine 2-3 degrees cooler then the tank temp it seems to induce baby making.

Well I don't think there will be any baby making lol. He is alone. And besides, I don't want babies AT ALL, so I freak out every time the loaches chase eachother, cause I can't tell if they are male or female.....lol

Tunes, did you not read my post at all lol? He has 4 bubble pieces and 3 filter flows lol! He has plenty of current to play in. And I did put the Prime in first before I put in the tap water. So far he is fine. I did notice the other day that he has a deformed fin though, it's about half the size of his other one....I am kinda bummed, but he can still swim around fine, just wiggles his head a little when he is coming out of one of his houses. Thankfully he has the undulating fin to help him out.

Actually no i didn't. I have been gone for an hour becausei had a orthadonist appointment. I just kinda threw things out that i thought you were asking. I really did not read anything, just tryed to help. Ya, well then that is good, you don't want white water type current but you do want a flow, which it sounds like you have achived. As of the deformed fin, that is nothing but bad parenting from whoever spawned him. But since i have seen goldfish survive and adapt with no eyes then he is fine, as it seems you know. BBut in some ways it makes the fish more interesting. I love knife fish and i have exp. with them and just am making sure you have all your info.

No problemo, I wasn't trying to be mean about it. I just thought it was funny! Yeah, he still gets around fine and has a GREAT personality! His favorite place to hang out is where the bottom of the filter meets the bubbles. It is almost like he is getting himself a massage. I will be sure and ask you about him if I have any questions since you have exp with them! Since he has a little fin, he will DEFINITLEY be by himself!!! Thanks!

I use a python on all the tanks. After I have drained I dose with Prime for the size of the tank, let it sit 5 minutes then start filling. I have airstones going in all the tanks so this lets the Prime mix.

Ok thanks Dragon, that's what I did. My concern was him playing in the water coming in. I would move the hose and he would follow wherever it went lol. He is REALLY fast.
Eggs~Why would I call it his lucky fin? I am not going to take it off and put it on my keychain HAHA!

Since he has a little fin, he will DEFINITLEY be by himself!!!!

Quick question. Why are you going to keep him buy himself? He seems to get around fine and you would not want to stick him in with aggressive fish anyways. You want to keep him with peacful community fish that can not fit in his mouth. So i would do some angels myself personally, maybe some catfish of some kind. Trust me, as long as the fish are peacful then he will be fine with other fish.

Back
Top Bottom