quiet air pump ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jowag1541

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking for some feedback on a quiet air pump for my aquarium. I have a 55 gallon tank but I only need an air pump for one or two air stones. I have a Rena 200 right now and it's driving me crazy with vibration noise. I had a Rena 200 years ago and it seemed to be very quiet. I started off with a Rena 300, way too noisy for me so I got a 200 and it's quieter than the 300 but has a terrible vibration noise to it. I have it sitting on 3 pieces of cut out carpet and have read where to put black electrical tape around it. okay so I did that and also have 2 rubber bands around it but still drives me nuts. When I pick it up and squeeze it tight, it's very quiet but once I release it forget it. I don't want to keep soaking money into these air pumps so thought this is the best place to get some reviews and opinions. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have checked all the tubing and everything seems good and nothing is bent.

Hello jow...

If you don't mind me asking, what's the purpose of the air stone?

B

I just have the airstone for some air for the fish and decoration. Thanks!

Airstones

I just have the airstone for some air for the fish and decoration. Thanks!

Hello again jow...

The small bubbles from the airstone don't provide much oxygen because they don't create a lot of water movement on the surface. If you have a power filter with a gph (gallon per hour) rating of at least 4 times the volume of the tank in gallons, your tank will have sufficient oxygen for the fish. If you like the bubble effect, then use one airstone. There's not a really practical use for an airstone. You could save your money and buy something more fuctional, like plants or more fish.

Just a thought.

B

Thanks for the info. I do have a few plants and will check out the gph on my filter. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom