quietest water chiller.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gravereaper0

Aquarium Advice Freak
Pretty much title says it all. I'm getting a 150 gallon tank for a community of goldies and loaches. Right now got a lil 20 gallon and on average the temp sits around 78-80. The new tank will be moderately planted which means lights that will put out good amount of heat plus other equipment to run the tank. And in the summer it gets pretty toasty. The aquarium will be in the living area where I spend most of my time when I'm home, so I need a quiet chiller.
What are your guys suggestions?

Very nice, premium product but also a premium price. What would the second best option be. The 1/10hp isn't rated for my tank and the next runner up is $700!
:-o

There's a guy on eBay that's selling his 1/4hp jbj for $320 but it was used in a salt water setup. How bad do you guys think it corroded, would you buy it and use it in fresh water?

Oh and another thing. I know you need to hook up an appropriate flow pump to it, but is the pump on 24/7/365 or is there something else that controls it?

you could probably control it based on temperature if you have an RKL or other controller.

I am not sure on other brands - I do know that the common complaint regarding chillers is they tend to be noisy. You often get what you pay for in this hobby... I know that is of little consolation when looking at a $700 purchase to lower your water temp 3 degrees :)

Have you considered maybe just trying to run some fans to blow cross the surface of the water, or maybe go LED for lighting to reduce heat? You might be surprised, you may not have a need at all for a chiller.

Yes I do want led lighting. Don't forget its December and the water temp is at 78-80. In the summer god knows what'll it be. I'm almost never home (truck driver) and my wife also works full time and when she's not home we do not run the a/c. So who knows what the water temp will get to. And then when we are home it'll somewhat go down, then back up n down and etc. Fish will be floating upside down in a week, so I want constant temp to keep em happy, even if it means spending $700. But I'm about to click the buyitnow button on that used chiller I found on eBay. Just need another drink :p

And what is a controller, that's a new term for me. What's it controlling?

You can use an aquarium controller to control all kinds of things based on all kinds of inputs... temperature, pH, time, ORP, etc, etc.

Here are some examples of controllers: Digital Aquatics Reef Keepers - Bulk Reef Supply

If your indoor temp swings that much, then yes you will need heaters and a chiller. Probably cheaper in the long run than running the AC full time :)

Yep. Right now I'm a proud owner of a jbj 1/4hp chiller. Yaaay

Now I think I'll just run the pump 24/7, it'll also give me more flow in the tank. So what's a good reliable pump that'll do that. It has to push at least 800gph I believe is minimum flow for the chiller

hmmm. Good question. Do you plan to try and run a sump with the new tank? That would be your best bet. A pump that pushes that much is going to be quite large.

The other option would be to get a large canister filter - something like the FX5 could probably be plumbed inline with the chiller.

Fluval FX5 External Canister Filter at PETCO

No sump, don't wanna drill into the tank. The fx5 is already on my shopping list for the tank.
So what you're saying is, instead of running the fx5 output directly into the tank is to run it through the chiller and then into the tank?

The controller definitely makes your life easier, but I don't see much use for it in a fresh water tank.

yes, exactly - the FX5 would act as the pump for the chiller.

Controllers are cool things - especially when you hook them up to the net. They are definitely "nice to haves" and not "have to haves" and even more so on a FW setup.

Last edited:
Very cool idea. But you never really know what kinda flow the filter will have. Doesn't the amount of filter media and how clean/dirty it is change the gph?

Yes, absolutely it will. But isn't the FX5 rated at 1000gph? If you keep it clean with regular maintenance, I see no reason it couldn't maintain the minimum 800 you need.

The other consideration though is head height - the lower the pump, the less GPH it will move.

If you want to run a separate pump, eheim pumps are the quietest pumps out there that are commonly available. I am just not sure how you are going to hook it up without a sump, and without drilling the tank. It would be quite an eye soar in your display tank.

Maybe consider running the fx5 and another smaller canister in parallel to insure the proper GPH through the chiller? That would be easier and quieter than trying to hook up another pump.

I definitely do not want a pump inside the tank. Now I just looked it up, and the chiller is rated from 480 to 1920 gph. So what if I got an external that pumps let's say 1200gph to compensate?

That would also work. How are you going to plumb the external?

In my experience, external pumps, especially that will move that much water, are loud, which will offset the benefit of your new premium chiller.

If it is rated from 480, I would at least start with just the FX5 inline which ought to be just fine to meet the min flow rate, and see if it is enough flow to keep your temp where you want it. Why add more electricity cost, overall heat to the system, and noise if you don't need it?

You know what screw it, you're right. I'll just hook it up to the fx5 output and call it a day. Maybe easier is better.

As I mentioned in your other thread about using an Eheim pump as a lift pump, I run it outside of the sump (in fact on the other side of the wall) and the only thing in the sump is an intake hose. You could go that route too if you don't want to use your canister filter to run it. Mine is quiet and even on the opposite side of the wall is powerful enough to pump the water up, through a recirculating skimmer (about 2' higher than the sump), and back no prob or noise.

Agree on Eheim noise levels - I run an eheim return in my reef and it is nice and quiet. Supposed to be 1 of the more quiet pumps out there. Just like with the JBJ chiller though, it comes at a price. The eheims are definitely more expensive than mag pumps or other brands.

I just think that in this case, especially if the OP plans on adding an FX5, plumbing it inline will be more than enough flow to chill the tank a few degrees. Before spending another hundo on an eheim, I would try with the FX5 first.

Looking at at the eheim 1262. 900gph but $170. Fx5 $250 and its a filter rated at 960gph. Gonna go with the filter and see what happens. Is there any way to actually measure the gph output?

Back
Top Bottom