Quikrete Pool Filter Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
playsand, pool filter sand, and all silica sands have silicates.

moon sand, feldspar sand, aragonite sand are silica free. black diamond coal slag (blasting sand) has a very low, <2% free silica content.

You can change to a silicate free substrate, like aragonite sand. Plecos and Ottos will eat the brown algae. Increasing your lighting and oxygenation will help tons.

I don't have that problem in any of my tanks and have the quickrete play sand. It was a problem at first but it got better to the point I have none now

OMG...what did you do? This is so unsightly....

You can change to a silicate free substrate, like aragonite sand. Plecos and Ottos will eat the brown algae. Increasing your lighting and oxygenation will help tons.

Increasing light would cause other algae issues, correct? Currently I have two filters, penguin bio-wheel and regent, both rated for 55g and one large bubble disc....no stagnate surface areas...2 BN, 1 oto, & 1 horned nerite snail....what else is suggested?

There is also silicate absorbing resin you can put in your filter.

Links to some that won't remove my plant ferts...please and tia

OMG...what did you do? This is so unsightly....

Increasing light would cause other algae issues, correct? Currently I have two filters, penguin bio-wheel and regent, both rated for 55g and one large bubble disc....no stagnate surface areas...2 BN, 1 oto, & 1 horned nerite snail....what else is suggested?

Links to some that won't remove my plant ferts...please and tia

Amano shrimp do a great shop. And otos like being in groups. Maybe get 4 more?

Increasing light should only cause green algae to grow faster, if you have it. Green algae is actually a sign of a healthy tank and should be easily controlled by your algae eaters and/or regular cleaning. If you have blue-green algae it will make it worse. You should only have blue green algae if your nitrates and phosphates are too high. (Blue-green algae is actually a cyanobacteria, not an algae.) Overfeeding can cause your phosphate levels to be high. Filters won't help get rid of algae. Other than some specialized ones for green water. Seachem Phosguard can be used in your filter media to lower phospahtes and dissolved silicates Amazon.com: Seachem PhosGuard 500ml: Pet Supplies

Does this remove my dry ferts that I dose daily (phosphates)?

It will remove phosphates that you dose, it shouldn't affect phosphates provided in root tabs however. You would want to run phosguard only for as long as it takes to remove your silicates, continue dosing phosphorus, perhaps increasing the doseage, then remove the phosguard once silicates are removed. Seachem has pretty good instructions regarding its usage. It should only need to be run for a couple weeks. If you wanted, you could run it on & off for a week at a time, just to give your plants a phosphorus boost while you try removing silicates over a period of time. Once the silicates are removed, you won't need to use it anymore.

I don't know of any products that remove silicates without removing phosphates as well. Other products, such as chemi-pure elite, will remove much more than just silicates and phosphates.

One thing I think you may be confused about having the silicate sand. You won't have the problem forever. Once all the little dissolvable pieces of sand have been dissolved and then removed you will be fine. Otherwise every one with a glass tank would have this problem since glass is silica.

Amano shrimp do a great shop. And otos like being in groups. Maybe get 4 more?

Okay, I finally up the group of oto's to 5 (jsut went to get the other 4). They have been acclimated and are in now.

Increasing light should only cause green algae to grow faster, if you have it. Green algae is actually a sign of a healthy tank and should be easily controlled by your algae eaters and/or regular cleaning. If you have blue-green algae it will make it worse. You should only have blue green algae if your nitrates and phosphates are too high. (Blue-green algae is actually a cyanobacteria, not an algae.) Overfeeding can cause your phosphate levels to be high. Filters won't help get rid of algae. Other than some specialized ones for green water. Seachem Phosguard can be used in your filter media to lower phospahtes and dissolved silicates Amazon.com: Seachem PhosGuard 500ml: Pet Supplies

I have noticed some GSA and do not want it to get out of control either....how many nerites should be in a 55g rectangle to keep it at bay? Also, I wasn't referring to my filters concerning the algae/diatoms, just was making a point about movement/non-stagnate surface...I wasn't sure if it was important or not dealing with the silicates. I don't have blue-green algae just a very small amount of GSA and the unsightly diatoms. Also I test phosphates weekly and it had been 0 until the last 2 weeks since I dose and it stays under 1 so I have ruled out them being too high...arhhhh...this is uglyyyy

One thing I think you may be confused about having the silicate sand. You won't have the problem forever. Once all the little dissolvable pieces of sand have been dissolved and then removed you will be fine. Otherwise every one with a glass tank would have this problem since glass is silica.

I might be confused :) so what are you saying? Do alot of water changes? I do 50% PWC every week. It really seems like it smothers some plants too...

Back
Top Bottom