R/O water question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BASSNMAN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When you use R/O water, do you add anything to replace the trace minerals? Do you mix it with tap water? :D

It depends on whether or not you are doing a water change or just replacing water that has evaporated. I think most folks check their water chemistry in the aquarium & then try to match it closely by mixing with aged tap water (for a water change). For evaporation it can be added to the tank plain (I do it straight but some might reccomend mixing it with some tank water first).

If you are trying to lower your pH or hardness levels though you will want to gradually add more & more R/O as you do water changes.

It depends on whether or not you are doing a water change or just replacing water that has evaporated. I think most folks check their water chemistry in the aquarium & then try to match it closely by mixing with aged tap water (for a water change). For evaporation it can be added to the tank plain (I do it straight but some might reccomend mixing it with some tank water first).

If you are trying to lower your pH or hardness levels though you will want to gradually add more & more R/O as you do water changes.

Back
Top Bottom