Radio DJ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is anyone here a radio DJ? Lately I'm kind of fond of the idea, and I'm looking into applying for a spot on our campus radio station as well as a weekend position at a local station.

Thanks,

Mike

I have an "audition" at a local studio on Monday morning. I'm supposed to be doing a couple demo recordings and such. Do you have any tips, pointers, etc?

What do you think of the career field over all? Ups? Downs? Let's hear it.

Good Luck

For starters.....Be yourself, use your voice as is and don't try to sound bigger or boomier. Unless your voice is annoying....there's no need to worry about how much it sounds like a "Radio Voice".
Speak clearly and normally....with enthusiasm....as if you're talking to a friend on the street.

You won't get rich in a small market. If money is your thing, get into radio sales......that is where the money is at in smaller and medium markets.

Physically .....it is not very demanding, but mentally....it keeps you very busy, especially while you are on the air. Conditions are usually great. After all, you're cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and dry when it rains.
Keep in mind...it IS a job. Some long and odd hours can be associated with it. It can be a challenge at times just like any other job.
One other thing.....You will NEVER please all radio listeners. Everybody WILL NOT love you......regardless of how good you are.

Good Luck

Thanks MM! I'm not looking for big money, but just trying to get my foot in the door. I'm not sure if I want to major in mass comm. with a broadcasting major yet, but it can't hurt to try things out and meet some people! If nothing else, it will be a great experience that I will find useful in the future.

I've done the campus thing, and the best thing to do there is set up a decent premise for your show. I did a new music show called "Don't Believe the Hype" but I also did shows premised around music nominally or normally too known for college radio but too obscure for commercial radio: i.e., "lesser" Beatles songs, old Herbie Hancock funk, and new stuff like Dinosaur Jr. (then) and, say, Fleet Foxes now.

Just make sure it's something you'll enjoy spinning every week for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom