Rainbow fish with tiny bit of mouth fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ringoffire

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got a rainbow fish with what I think is a tiny bit of fungus on his mouth. He is in a 55g tank with hob Fluval 50 and aqueon 30 internal filter. Just did a large water change (50%). parameters before wc were Ammo- .25, Nitrite 0, nitrate 30, ph 7.8. Problem is my quarantine tank was in the process of quarantining 5 danios that ended up getting ich so it is currently being treated for that. What do I do? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400083883.525356.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400083899.726101.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400083914.933970.jpg

Hello Ring...

Well, for starters, you need to get a stable water chemistry. Even traces of nitrogen like ammonia or nitrite can kill fish fairly quickly. Change half the tank water every few days and replace it with pure, treated tap water. Add some individuals stems of floating plants like Anacharis, Hornwort and Pennywort. These take in nitrogen as a food source and take it in through their leaves. They help keep the tank water cleaner for the fish.

Cut back on feeding. Stressed and sick fish won't eat much and you don't want uneaten food to foul the tank water. Fish are small and don't need much food even though they constantly beg. Get a good quality food like the flaked type from Cobalt and feed just a little every couple of days.

Do a good job of vacuuming the bottom material, this will improve the water quality by removing decaying fish and plant material.

I would follow this routine until the fish show improvement.

B

So you are saying that improving the water quality should help the fish fight off the fungus without having to do any fungus treatments or such? I usually do at least a 40% wc every week with a heavy vacuuming but fell a day behind this week. Just performed a 50% wc just before posting and taking pics.

Back
Top Bottom