rainbow shark and bristle nose algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dezibby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've been doing the fish thing for a few months. I got a bristlenose albinal algae eater along with a rainbow ( redtailed??) shark. The both showed up dead. I was wonder if it had to do with each other, since they are both bottom dwellers. Does anyone know anything about either of these??

How big is the tank and what were the levels? They shouldnt have killed each other. Were thy recently added? Is the tank cycled, if so for how long?

I have never personally heard of a BNP hurting anybody else. It seems more likely that the cause was something else. How long ago did you get them? How big were they?

Well I got them at seperate time abp first and shark after....cycled?? I really have no clue what that is. Im a first timer and really just wanted something to be responsible for. I had the tank going for maybe a few weeks at that point. Never checked for balances. Not sure what the levels should be. So I need some help.

dezibby said:
Well I got them at seperate time abp first and shark after....cycled?? I really have no clue what that is. Im a first timer and really just wanted something to be responsible for. I had the tank going for maybe a few weeks at that point. Never checked for balances. Not sure what the levels should be. So I need some help.

Here are some great links to cycling:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-Guide-and-FAQ-to-Fishless-Cycling/Page1.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page1.html

Well I can tell you one thing. A new tank will not only provide you with responsibility, it will provide discipline as well. Get yourself a test kit and check the water every 3 days or so. Don't get the strips, buy an actual kit with test tubes and solutions. API make a great kit. They run about 30-35 bux. If you're still keeping fish in there, you will need to closely monitor the water levels. This is gonna dictate your other major responsibility, water changes.

Welcome to fish keeping. :)

You should read the articles because they explain it better, but the basic idea is that fish excrement has ammonia in it. Ammonia is toxic to fish. In the wild, water systems have "beneficial bacteria" that turns the ammonia into a less harmful compound called nitrite. This is less toxic to the fish, but is still harmful. More bacteria turn the new compound into nitrate which is more easily tolerated by fish and can be used as nourishment by plants. These bacteria must be grown in the tank in order for this whole process to happen. The process of growing the bacteria and reducing ammonia levels to 0 is called "cycling your tank."
At a pet store, you can buy a kit to test for these compounds.

You should read the articles because they explain it better, but the basic idea is that fish excrement has ammonia in it. Ammonia is toxic to fish. In the wild, water systems have "beneficial bacteria" that turns the ammonia into a less harmful compound called nitrite. This is less toxic to the fish, but is still harmful. More bacteria turn the new compound into nitrate which is more easily tolerated by fish and can be used as nourishment by plants. These bacteria must be grown in the tank in order for this whole process to happen. The process of growing the bacteria and reducing ammonia levels to 0 is called "cycling your tank."
At a pet store, you can buy a kit to test for these compounds.

Well techincally the rivers and streams are too big to make any difference at all for ammonia to affect the fish...but yes you are right. Remember, the key to cycling is patience. Sometimes it takes three weeks, others three months.

So I've read all that but I still don't know what the levels need to be. I've started test a few days ago and bought a kit. I test all in on thing for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and it come up to zero of all of them....is this good

The test kit I got was afi with the two solutions and a test tube. The water turns a color and you compare to a chart. Is that a good one?? My fish seem to be doing well I've only lost a few at the begin and I was adding fish alot, but I slowed down and all have survived since.

What are you testing with, API Freshwater? If so then you might be doing your ammo and nitrAte tests wrong, I did my nitrAte test wrong a few times before so reread through them a few times. This is what your levels should be looking like:
Ammo<.25 ppm
Nitrites<0-0.25 ppm
Nitrates<20 ppm

The test kit I got was afi with the two solutions and a test tube. The water turns a color and you compare to a chart. Is that a good one?? My fish seem to be doing well I've only lost a few at the begin and I was adding fish alot, but I slowed down and all have survived since.

Yep that's the one.

Yeah, its api sorry. I do one test and it shows a color in the water and it says for all 3 and you come pair it to a freshwater color chart

Well techincally the rivers and streams are too big to make any difference at all for ammonia to affect the fish...but yes you are right. Remember, the key to cycling is patience. Sometimes it takes three weeks, others three months.
Not all of them. I worked with the government monitering native fish species which includes testing small streams and ponds like you would test an aquarium.:) Salmon are surprisingly sensitive and sometimes they are found in tiny tiny streams here because the water has been irrigated away for farming. But you are TOTALLY right that in large water systems, there is sooooooo mush water that these things are not as pivotal.

Not all of them. I worked with the government monitering native fish species which includes testing small streams and ponds like you would test an aquarium.:) Salmon are surprisingly sensitive and sometimes they are found in tiny tiny streams here because the water has been irrigated away for farming. But you are TOTALLY right that in large water systems, there is sooooooo mush water that these things are not as pivotal.

Yes very very true :)

Yeah, its api sorry. I do one test and it shows a color in the water and it says for all 3 and you come pair it to a freshwater color chart

Yep it's definitely that one. There should also be a test for pH.
So could I be doing it wrong??

no your right :)

Back
Top Bottom