Rainbow shark tank mates? And baby guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swmswitdolfins13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I have a 20 gal tank and would really like to get a rainbow shark for it (I think they look really cool). I have platties, mollies and guppies in the tank right now and the girl at the pet store said that the shark wouldn't be a good fit for my tank. Is she right? Or can I have a rainbow shark happily living (and nicely) living with my other fish?

Also, I have about 10 baby guppies (5 almost a month old, 5 others almost a week old). Any ideas what to do with these guys? (Other than flushing them) I was hoping the adults would eat them, there isn't much for the babies to hide in. But the adults just ignore them. Will a pet store take the babies (for a price, or even for free?) Will a pet store buy/trade my adult female guppies? (The stupid idiot at the pet store told me they didn't have any females, and since the guppies were the first fish that I have ever had, I didn't know how to tell the sexes apart. I sure do know how to tell them apart now!)

Will a rainbow shark eat the babies?

If the rainbow shark acts like a normal rainbow shark it certainly will eat the babies.
Following this thread!

Well first of all a 20 gal is really just not big enough for a full grown rainbow shark...especially if it's a 20 high. If you put him in a smaller tank he will be very territorial and likely bother your other fish. Mine has stayed smaller than most, and even then I would have him in no less than a 29 gal, but this is too small for many of them as I've read some grow past 6 inches. From everything I've heard it seems my rainbow shark that will not eat fry is not the norm. I've read many accounts of rainbows sharks eating anything and everything smaller than them in their tank. Mine is very docile, he will chase folks out of his ship, but never nip. He doesn't even pay attention to little guys like shrimp, fry, or neons.

Take your unwanted fry and your female(s) to a petco and they will adopt them out for you (or you could try another pet store if you wish, my lfs won't take them but my petco will).

Back
Top Bottom