Rainbowfish tank going well, thanks folks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coyotesweat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, it's been a few weeks, so I thought I'd update you on my newly reincarnated 29 gal tank. I did add the fish slowly, first the 3 original minnows (one of which jumped to its death eventually), then a couple fish a week for a while.)

I now have 2 pair of dwarf Praecox Rainbowfish, one male Boesmani Rainbow, one siamese algae eater, and two small cories, along with 2 of the remaining rosey red minnows i cycled the tank with. Black background, some hornwart and some kind of grass (not supposed to be low light, but doing ok anyways), and some of whatever mystery aquarium plant was in my container garden (also doing well.). A few decorations: an old ceramic shack that was in my last aquarium for years and is now nicely weathered, and one of those "collapsed roman ruins", along with a few big rocks.

Everybody seems happy, and is eating voraciously! I know the dwarf rainbows are supposed to prefer acid water to our local somewhat alkaline water, but they were raised in it at the lfs, and are doing splendidly in the local tap water (treated, of course). The minnows are schooling with the rainbows, and seem to enjoy their company.

Eventually the minnows will go back outside to the container gardens they came from, and I might add another male Praecox (if I can get one, my lfs is out right now).

The rainbows crack me up, when I come to look at them they all come up and stare at me through the glass...thinking beady little fishy thoughts about additional meals (I'm feeding them small meals 3-4 times a day). i think they'd eat constantly if I let 'em...

So, life is good!

Thanks again for being there for fishy questions.

I'm thinking of adding a dwarf gourami or two... where do they swim in the tank? The rainbows seem to like the top third of the tank, circling for food, and the cories and algae eater like the very bottom or walls. What would you recommend for something that would like the middle/lower middle area?

Coyotesweat

Gourami tend to be everywere but they seem more middle top. You might look into a small schooling fish such as tetra. Maybe some cherry barbs for some lower-mid color.

Back
Top Bottom