Rainwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpkbfish420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My PH is higher than I want it to be. I was thinking about collecting rainwater, what's your opinion on that? How would I know if my rainwater is polluted?What about distilled water? I can't afford a RO unit right now...

Check the ph of your rain water. Also, i would put carbon in the water before adding it to the tank, as it may polluted. What is your ph right now? What fish are you keeping?

I haven't used the high range PH test yet, so I only know it's at least 7.6. I'm currently keeping guppies, threadfin rainbows, cherry barbs, and a bristlenosed pleco and a tiger pleco.

I would test it first. 7.6 is a good ph for what you have. What size tank is it?

Bottled (filtered) is better than rain water. To some extent rain water is the worst. It collects all the pollution in the air as it falls. Bottled/Jugs are about $1 or cheaper

You really don't need to mess with the Ph unless it is way off (like 9). 7.6 is just fine & I would leave things alone.

Yeah, keep in mind that unless you're keeping certain sensitive fish or trying to breed, a stable pH is much more important than getting it down to the ideal range. I think a major contributing factor to my first tank crashing was the fact that I'd try to bring down the pH. It would bounce right back up, and I think that ended up being harder on my fish than if i had just left them alone.

Although, it certainly wouldn't hurt to get a high range kit and see just how high you are.

Ok..so can I mix distilled water with tapwater without having PH swings? I know my fish are probably ok with it, but I'd still like to keep it at their ideal range, if that's possible without too many PH swings. Thanks a lot everyone! BTW it is a 20 g.

Depending on the proportions, you run the risk of a major hardness crash which is going to make your PH worries seem minimal. If you must bottled over distilled, if not then get a kit to test the hardness before and after

Like Ahab said. i too would go with bottled water. go to walmart and get spring water they sell $0.50 per gallon

Last edited:
So you're saying get spring water rather than distilled? Should I mix that half and half with my tapwater?

I would agree that water parameters are better left alone unless you are trying to breed a specific fish that requires soft water or if your water supply is at a radical end of the pH and hardness scale.

If you feel compelled to change it you should either cater to a local fish store and buy their RO water and figure out a ratio of your tap water to mix with RO water to achieve the desired parameter or go to walmart and buy distilled water to mix with your tap.

If you are going to try and change your water parameters, and again I think you shouldn't,,,but if you are,,,then you should create water at the desired parameter BEFORE it goes into your tank. And then when you do your water changes use this manipulated water and then the change will be very gradual. You do not want to suddenly change the parameters of the main tank overnight.

Bill

I just wouldnt mess with it. My ph is at 8.6 and my fish are healthy and thriving.

I just wouldnt mess with it. My ph is at 8.6 and my fish are healthy and thriving.

Precisely. I think due to all of the rehashed printed material throughout the years that new aquarists are led to believe that pH is more important than it is.

Most of the bread and butter tropical fish are so far removed from their native brethren and have been raised and or kept in hard water, especially fish from Florida.

I wouldn't recommend changing anything, except in those instances where specialized soft water fish are being kept and bred.

Bill

Spring water could have the same or higher pH as your tap water and could be harder in general. Leave well enough alone and use the water you have. I haven't tested for pH in years, even though mine rises from what comes out of the tap. It really doesn't matter. I have bred Africans and South Americans in this water and none of them have cared. If you have a burning need to play chemist by all means go ahead and play with the water. If you just want your fish to be healthy, leave it alone and maintain stability with regular, frequant partial water changes.
As far as rain water goes, many people have used it over the years and for years without problems. I wouldn't hesitate to use it if I had a need for it, but would run it through charcoal first.

Well thanks a lot guys...I think I'll take your advice and leave it alone. Would the same apply if I decide to get Killifish someday?

I just tested my tapwater with the high range PH test, and it's at least 8.8! Are you sure I should be using that?! Won't my PH just rise with every water change?

Draw some tap water and let it sit for 24-48 hours or aerate it for a while then test it. You may end up with a different reading. Mine goes down from pH 8.0 to pH 7.6 after it sits for 2 days. My tank is pH 7.8 and never moves. Others have said they get different readings also.

Back
Top Bottom