Ram trio- is it safe and will they breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,
I bought a pair of rams last week. They were supposed to be a pair but the employee grabbed the wrong one. Now I have two females. Would a male be an ok addition or will he kill one? Also, will they breed as a group or just a pair? Do they care for fry, anything major I need to know?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Should be ok, just monitor for aggression and remove as needed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Be careful. I put two of each gender ram in a 20 gallon, and I was away over the following weekend figuring they would be fine for 2 days, since they weren't paired off (having only been in the tank for one day anyway). Well, two paired off and they killed the other female over that weekend.

Be careful. I put two of each gender ram in a 20 gallon, and I was away over the following weekend figuring they would be fine for 2 days, since they weren't paired off (having only been in the tank for one day anyway). Well, two paired off and they killed the other female over that weekend.

2 males and 2 males is a far different scenario than 1m ro 2f. I keep 1:2 and the females get testy sometimes but they've been fine otherwise.

If we are talking about M. ramirezi(blue/gold/GBR/EBR/etc) than there is a definite possibility that once a pair forms they will become aggressive towards the other female. Keep an eye on it and be prepared to remove the extra female or accept the natural consequences.

What about same-sex pairs? Would 2 males or 2 females get along?

I don't want a same sex pair- I want a breeding pair. That's the point.

I wasn't suggesting that for you. I'd like to have a pair of rams, but have no interest in breeding them, so I was wondering if a same-sex pair would get along?

2 males and 2 males is a far different scenario than 1m ro 2f. I keep 1:2 and the females get testy sometimes but they've been fine otherwise.

I know it's a different scenario, but it's still at least somewhat similar. I'll never know if the exiled male played a part in it, but I'm positive the dominant pair did. And it was shockingly quick to happen.

I'd return one of the females and add a male. This isn't a species that is picky about mates. No reason to have a third wheel along and risk the aggression IMO.

I'd return one of the females and add a male. This isn't a species that is picky about mates. No reason to have a third wheel along and risk the aggression IMO.

3 males and one female? That works?

Okay, I'll see if my LFS will take the smaller girl. Thanks!

3 males and one female? That works?

Pretty sure emerald was sold 2 females as a pair, and currently only has the 2 females, looking to add a male. Returning a female and getting a male would leave emerald with a pair.

Last edited:
Pretty sure emerald was sold 2 females as a pair, and currently only has the 2 females, looking to add a male. Returning a female and getting a male would leave emerald with a pair.

Blame it on my a.d.d., yes.. mis read that one big time. Thanks;)

Okay, I'll see if my LFS will take the smaller girl. Thanks!

Be polite in your request, obviously, but IMO your shop should make this exchange since based on your original post, it appears you asked for a pair in the first place. You aren't the one responsible for netting the wrong fish.

Back
Top Bottom