Random Fish Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arshis

Aquarium Advice Regular
1) Can fish see in the dark? Unless they are nocturnal and have clearly reflective eye lens (like cats and clown knife fish) .

2) Telling by a fishes droppings can you tell if your fish is being fed right or not. I noticed most of my fish have full poops brown or red (usually cause of the diet they have I'm sure) But occasionally some fish will go though a almost transparent/whiteish stage of poop for a while. Could this mean their bodies are sucking up all the nutrients + needing more?

I'm sure some fish see well in the dark and others don't. You're right that it's species related.

Regarding fish droppings, there is IMO a correlation to a fishes health. White or clear feces might be indicative of intestinal parasites which can inhibit a fish from getting proper nutrition. Some fish regularly shed their intestinal linings and it appears their feces is white or clear.

I wouldn't panic, but it is something to watch for. Excellent observation on your part.

well in humans, our pooh is briown because out liver breaks down dead red blood cells and sends them through the intestine to be dissposed of, when our pooh is green it can be from to many red blood cells being broken down and gotten rid of, if our pooh is grey with possible yellow streaks in it, then we will prolly die within about 3 days, this means are liver is not breaking down red blood cells, possibly not functioning at all

when our pooh is green it can be from to many red blood cells being broken down and gotten rid of

...or you drank purple soda or ate too many blueberries! :lol:

I think I just learned far too much about my poo.. :(

as for if fish can see in the dark, wave your hand in front of their face and see if they react :)

Lol I cant even see my fish at night, so dont know if I wave my hand in front of them but when I used to go fishing in FL I would go to the tampa bay at 3am ( i worked the grave shift) while the shads were sleeping at low tide in the shallow water there I was able to snatch them up out of the water "useing a weak flash light for light. Its the only reason I'm asking if fish can see at night if I'm able to pull shads out of the water its because
A) I'm just at good at catching shads with my hands
B) They cant see at night
C) Or they were blinded by a semi weak flash light

my doc informed me that its actually the Bile in the digestive tract that colors your poop brown.

Back
Top Bottom