rasbora identification crisis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

93MSB

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm apparently having a problem identifying rasbora, specifically the ones labeled harlequin.

the first stock of fish I went to get I wanted 3 harlequin rasbora. I wound up with 2 lamb chop/false harlequins (t. espei) and a black neon snuck in.

when I went back the next time all they had were true harlequins which are very pale to the espei's I have so that's when I did the research into the three different species.

then yesterday I went back to get some new additions, and noticed one little guy in the harlequin tank that was different from everyone else. I thought "oh boy, another false harlequin!" not thinking that it could be a glowlight (t. hengeli) because I read hengeli are rare and very rarely bred in captivity.

so I bring the little guy home and after about an hour I noticed he was pretty pale and lacking the bright orange glow the other two had. I thought he might just be stressed. however, he's the same this morning and I'm 75% sure he's a (hengeli) now. he is a bit smaller than my first two rasbora, so maybe his color hasn't come in yet?

my concern is I know they do best in tight schools, especially the hengeli. with the hengeli supposedly being hard to find will it be comfortable schooling with some espei? right now he's cruising around doing his own thing

I can't answer that question directly, but I have harlequins and hengel's that shoal together all of the time.

Attachments

• DSCI0218.jpg
    DSCI0218.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom