RCS in a 2.5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From a bio-load standpoint, you can do up to 20RCS. However, if your looking to breed RCS, then I'd say 5 in a 2.5gal ... Figure 3 females / 2 males. 5 RCS could quickly become dozens. Personally speaking, 5gal should be the min for a small colny of RCS.

I have a 2.5G RCS tank on my desk at work. I started with 5 and now there are lots of little shrimpies! I do plan to take and add them to my tanks at home but for now they are real happy! I'd say there are over 20 but only the 5 big ones..

You can have as much as 10 shrimp per gallon - so, in a 2.5 gallon, you could have 25. However as stated earlier they will readily reproduce, so I wouldn't start out with nearly that many. I would start with 6 or so.

Frequently they would be snacks, I doubt it to be a good idea. Lots of plants would help but I suspect if the bigger fish got a few bites it would be a preferred food and the shrimp would disappear quickly!

Would they survive in a tank with 2 GBR and 5 rosy barbs? A long as I have plenty of plants?

As soon as the rams find out that the shrimp are edible, your RCS will be toast. Lots of plants will help, but it is still much better to keep them in a tank of their own. Besides - if you have so much cover that the predators can't see them, you may not be able to see and enjoy them as much either.

Have to agree with bud29. RCS with fish other than ottos will be non-existant .. Either by being eaten or hiding most of te time. The difference with the RCS in both my tanks is like night and day. In the shrimp tank, they're always out. In my 75gal? When the moon decides to turn blue.

Have to agree with bud29. RCS with fish other than ottos will be non-existant .. Either by being eaten or hiding most of te time. The difference with the RCS in both my tanks is like night and day. In the shrimp tank, they're always out. In my 75gal? When the moon decides to turn blue.

Besides Ottos, other Nano Fish can live with Shrimp, but babies will be thinned out. I have CPDs , Scarlet Badis , Threadfin Rainbows and Cory habrosus in with mine. My adult Shrimp are out and about all the time.

Shrimp only tank , I got to see the newly hatched babies.

Back
Top Bottom