rebuilding light fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbk.o4

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i have a 48" 260w (only running 160w right now) jebo odyssea. it is a good fixutre, but the mountin legs SUCKED, and i couldnt get them to work with my tank. and even if i had, i wouldnt have been able to get my canopy back on my tank cuz the light when have sat too high.

so i was originally just going to make some new legs for it, but i hate the cooling set up it has, it has two lil dinky 40mm fans on one side of it... and they are loud and rattle.

so im going to just made a whole new case for the light and put some new fans in there. my real question here for all the DIYers is what type of wood would work the best for this? also i kinda want to be able to stain it to match my red oak canopy and stand. also if there is anything specific in the way of fasteners or if i can just use normal stainless screws.

TIA

Alder or some other hard wood will work. Some say you can even use MDF but I can't recommend it. As for screws, if it is sealed after you put it together it really doesn't matter. Just make sure to glue all the seems really well. I am looking at doing it myself as soon as I get my fixtures or retrofit kit.

Back
Top Bottom