Received plants, have a couple of questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

equinecpa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I received my plants and in general am very happy with what I received. Watersprite looks a bit ragged, but vals, anubias, bananas, and java fern looks good (java fern looks great - it's huge!). I've just planted them. (Any tips on planting in a deep aquarium - you can't see what you're doing very well)

I also received a Pennywort but it is Hydroctlye Sp - I think this is a pond plant. I've left this out for now. Any suggestions on this one, can it be planted? I think I meant to order moneywort and messed up...no great loss..it was only $0.75! It's in my sink for the time being. I don't want to mess up the water with rotting plants so if it needs to stay out, it will.

I attached both the anubias nana and java fern to rocks with thread. I wasn't sure how tightly they should be attached. Firm but not squishing the roots? I'm thinking I don't have them tight enough. Also both these plants have good roots, should I be planting them instead since they do have well developed root systems. Everywhere I read it says their best attached to rocks or wood, so that's what I've done.

I'll get the 100w MH over them tomorrow (need to make a hood). Substrate is a mix of gravel/shultz potting soil. I have 4 fish in the 30 hex aquarium, 3 angels and a betta.

I have some water plant fertilizers I was given, when do I start with that? How about Co2, necessary with that plant selection?

Carolyn

CO2 is necessary with the light being used.

its too bad you have potting soil and gravel...that's not a novice plant keepers substrate...heck even a lot of experts don't use soil on a high light tank.

leave the java fern and anubias tied. neither should have its rhizome buried. the java will attach quickly. the java fern roots are just an anchor, not a feeding mechanism.

Clarification of substrate

Substrate is Schultz Aquatic soil not potting soil. It's similar to flourite.

This is a deep tank 30 gallon hex, so I don't know if it will be considered well lit with the 100 w mh or not.

Carolyn

"moss" on rocks...

Hello equinecpa ,
I was just curious about where you order your plants from, I've checked a few online stores with great prices but I dont have any kind of feedback from people who have ordered from them.

Also I am curious where there are any kind of mossy plants that can grow on my rocks, like the micro sword for instance?

I think my substrate may be a little too large as far as rock size, can I just buy smaller/finer rocks and just place it where I want my plants to grow.
sorry about all the questions.

Thanks for your help,

Welsh

Hydrocotyle and pennywort are the same thing. If you bought it from a Florida Aquatic Nurseries dealer, the pennywort is grown emersed in shallow ponds. The stems are thick and the leaves quite large, the leaves also fall off easily. If you float these stems in your tank, it will convert to submersed growth. The stems will grow out thinner, the leaves smaller, and even those bare thick stems will grow out new thick clusters of small leaves. Of course you can grow it in an outdoor pond as well.

If you plant the thick stems in your gravel, it will still send out new submersed growth, but it may do it faster if you float them for a month.

Robert Hudson
www.aquabotanic.com

The plants came from www.aquaticplantdepot.com in Florida.

I picked out a few of the smaller stems of the pennywort and am floating them. I'm not sure I like them, we'll see. I chucked the rest so your post is too late for most of the plant!

Now I'm trying to make a hood for the lights

Carolyn

Sherri and Hope...they buy many of their plants from Florida Aquatic. They do have their own greenhouse as well and may have some outdoor pools where they grow it. Most likely it is emersed grown.

Robert Hudson
www.aquabotanic.com

Back
Top Bottom