Recently Rescued

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely both rift lake. The mbuna may be a hybrid

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Any advice on how to find out if they are for sure eating? I've put various flakes/pellets/frozen/freeze dried/ as well as dried red sea weed stuff and have not actually seen themy eat though the food is not found anywhere in the tank awhile later. But I don't know if they are eating it or the catfish. I just want to make sure I am doing everything possible to get them healthy and happy. Should I try small live fish or baby brine shrimp or something like that?

Any advice on how to find out if they are for sure eating? I've put various flakes/pellets/frozen/freeze dried/ as well as dried red sea weed stuff and have not actually seen themy eat though the food is not found anywhere in the tank awhile later. But I don't know if they are eating it or the catfish. I just want to make sure I am doing everything possible to get them healthy and happy. Should I try small live fish or baby brine shrimp or something like that?

No, all mbuna species do not have a digestive system capable of processing large amounts of protein. They can bloat (Malawi Bloat), which is often fatal when left untreated

No, all mbuna species do not have a digestive system capable of processing large amounts of protein. They can bloat (Malawi Bloat), which is often fatal when left untreated

Could you suggest a good food to test for them please? I just feel so bad for them.

New life spectrum is my favorite food and basically the only food i feed all of my fish, cichlids or not, and all 100+ are doing very well on it

Both of them are about 6 inches and all the info on that says max of about 4 inches

I'm on my phone but the mbuna looks like a Iodotropheus sprengerae.

I was thinking that same thing, but I would bet on it being a crossbreed.

As to the other fish, with his mangled fins it's really hard to tell but his body shape doesn't appear to be an african cichlid. Whatever the case, the one that's getting picked on need to be put in a different tank asap to heal up or he's not going to last much longer.

Update

Both cichlids are definitely doing better. Ran a medication through the tank and the one with the damaged fin is moving around the tank more of his own will. His fin is looking a bit better and both are starting to eat. The catfish and pleco are getting along for the time being and I have found a home for the pleco. My friend just needs to set up everything and cycle her tank. Her husband has years of experience so I know he will be well cared for. So all in all, happy fish :fish1: :lol:

Looks like a red top zebra hybrid, didn't look too stressed because when I had mine the stripes got black, they look really close but those two are hard to recognize for me..

Back
Top Bottom