Recommend a canister for a 75 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have purchased two Marineland Emperor 400 filters and they have both died with in a year. I am moving on from HOB filters and want to get a canister filter. I used to use marineland exclusively but not anymore.

Can anyone recommend a canister filter for a 75 gallon or more. Please only recommend canisters that have been running for more than a year.

I've had a lot of problems with fluvals. I use a Rena xp2 filstar canister and it works great.

I'm gonna say look into the eheim canisters they are anazing! But the Rena's are a close runner up IMO.

I have been looking at the ehiems thanks for all the help. I did call marineland to find out warranty and it is a 5 year warranty so they are sending me a new filter when I get the lot number to them. but when I get the new one I think I may put that up on craigslist and use the money for a canister.

I run a Fluval FX5 on my 72 bowfront( I have three currently running), it's quiet, leak proof, and can handle more than I can throw at it. I'd look into the FX6 since it's a little more energy efficient over the previous model.

I've been using Fluval canisters since the 80's and have never had problems. They are easy to setup, self prime, easy hook/unhook for cleaning, quiet, with a lot of room for media. I have 6 large Fluval canisters running currently.

Looks like it is either going to be Eheim or Fluval. I am looking into both and now it looks like which ever I can get the best price on. Thank all for your input.

I'm using Fluvals and have never had an issue. Totally quiet, very easy to take out and clean and adjustable flow. But Eheims are probably just as good. Difference between a Ford and a Chevy. Just which one feels better to you. Just don't buy the cheap China stuff. Where would you go to get customer service if & when you do need it? OS.

Back
Top Bottom