Recommendations for a 10 gallon boys tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FawnN

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok,

I need some recommendations for a 10 gallon tank for my son(he's 13). All the fish I have suggested is apparently too girlie.

I suggested a dwarf gourami and some pgymy cories.

Anyone have any cool tank ideas?

Uhm.....a shark?

No, seriously, you'll have to ask your son what sort of fish he thinks are manly enough to live up to his standards. Maybe some plecos that stay small? I think they're cool, but not allot of action though. Or a dwarf puffer? That's ofcourse a bit more difficult because it's brackish, but they sure are cool fish.

Good luck in your search!

Thomas

I'm not sure what cichlids stay small enough for a 10 gallon, but I would say get him a little firecracker of a cichlid and perhaps a DBN. I have a lone Jewel in my 20 and he always flairs about all day long at me. This would also keep the tank easy to maintain.

Thanks Thomas. He wanted to get a shark, but I said no. There aren't any sharks for a 10 gallon. They all get too big.

I guess he doesn't like my livebearers.

A dwarf puffer would be good. How many can I fit in a 10 gallon? And would they be ok with some pgymy cories?

no just trying to think like a 13 year old boy again if my mom asked if i wanted a dwarf puffers or aggessive shrimp killing puffers i would go for the second u know what mean

dwarf may sound off putting to him

Tankmates I'm not sure about.. I keep mine with assorted Danios and that's it, though I'm pretty sure that you'd be O.K. with Ottos.

Other bottom dwellers might be a gamble - my DP prefers the lower half of the tank to the upper half, and she is pretty nippy (probably why my Danios are fine - they only go down into her half once in a great while).

I know you've decided on the warrior ninja puffer, but another fish with personality (especially at feeding time) is the african butterfly fish. 10 gal might be a bit small, but if the tank was shaped to have a large surface then a butterfly might work since they only stay at the surface anyway and don't mind a shallow tank. Plus, they won't get bigger then 5 inches.

*snicker*.. warrior ninja puffer.. :lol:

I think a butterfly fish might be happier in a tank at least twice that size.. and don't they munch on other fish? DPs only get to be an inch. Even though they're aggressive, that would be a gamble I wouldn't want to take.

Corty,

How many DP's can I fit in the 10 gallon. And I would agree. I don't want to take a chance with bottom dwellers. Better safe then sorry.

Dwarf Puffers are fw only fish. Just call them puffers and he'll never know the difference. I think 2-3 dwarf puffers is the max in a 10 gallon. Just make sure you have a plentiful supply of snails somewhere though(a friendly lfs will usually just give you there small pond snails usually found in their plant tank). They absolutely must have snails or else their teeth grow too long for them to be able to eat. Plus I'm sure it would be pretty cool for him to watch them pick apart those snails.

A pair of Apisto's or Rams may be allright in a 10 gallon. I would maybe set up a separate topic to make sure but I believe they are small enough that it would be allright. The problem with boys is that cool usually means either big or mean and that is hard to find for a 10 gallon.

"aggessive shrimp killing puffers" LOL I WANT THOSE!!!! : )

Well the decorations can make it look manly, liek a pirate bubller drinkin rum with a skull would look cool, with like a black beta.

I second the 2-3 puffers in a 10 gallon suggestion. They should be all females or one male and two females. The females will have a rounder tummy and the males will have a dark vertical stripe going down their tummy.

Ok, well my next question would be about my plants. I have 3 real plants in there right now. Will the snails and DP's eat them?

I have 2 anubias and 1 anacharis.

Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate it. :D

honestly for a boy, I highly recommend checking out Reptile Advice for some good suggestions. You could keep any number of insects from spiders to millipedes :D , frogs, newts, toads, salamanders, small snakes, lizards... all sorts of interesting things. I doubt there are many of those that would be considered feminine... Just thought I'd throw a few ideas out there...

Back
Top Bottom