Recommendations for Shrimp breeding tank needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey folks. Just wondering what tank would be recommended as a breeding tank for shrimp. I am not looking for anything massively large. Something small and worth the money. I intend on setting this up with mosses and other live plants. Just need to know which small tank to acquire. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Petco has the $1 per gallon sale going on right now. Go pick up a 10 or 20 gallon, then a heater and filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Shrimp can be kept and bred in small tanks, even 2.5g. Just my opinion but I think a 5g is ideal, anything larger and I end up wishing I had more than just shrimp stocked!

The $1/gallon sale is great but you still have to buy other equipment, unless you have those things on hand.

Yeah the dollar per gallon thing would be okay if I wasn't in canada. I have extras of everything kicking around in a spare parts bin. So my cost won't be too much. I'm just kind of looking for a small tank that comes with somewhat of a setup that I can alter if need be.

You could buy a kit tank and just add a prefilter to the intake. I use an aquaclear foam insert for my shrimp prefilter

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Walmart up here has a 5 gallon tank for under 40 bucks which has a filter and led light hood setup. I'll probably just pick up a small heater and some sand substrate and call it a day. And then I'll be picking up some java moss and moss balls and some driftwood and then going from there.

That sounds like a good plan. Get a good heater because the kit ones are not always the best and your set

Yeah I'm gonna pop by the local shop that I do business with as I'd rather buy from him then some big store. The only sad thing is that he can't compete price wise with walmart on the tank. But all my fish and plants and supplies I buy through him and currently I'm supplying him with fry as a local breeder.

Walmart gets kick backs on the products they sell. I work at a store and we won't price match to Walmart because of that.

Back
Top Bottom