Recurring Green Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimmy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all!

I've got a lightly planted 10 gallon aquarium, low-tech, with 4 neon tetras (plan to add 2-3 more once my algae problems are addressed). Parameters are 0 ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite, and pH is very high for neons (7.6) according to API kit (only very recently purchased after I suspected the test strips I had been using before were too inaccurate).

The green water first showed up after I added the plants to the already established aquarium. I am guessing the initial algae bloom was due to the disturbed substrate? Since then, I've tried a number of things to reduce it: Daily 50% water changes, reduced feeding, reduced lighting, 3-day total blackout, and chemical algae killers as a very last resort, in various combinations. The tank clears briefly after a large intervention, but within a week becomes so green that I can't even see my fish. At this point, I've been struggling with this for months and I'm getting a bit frustrated. Is there anything else I can try to fix this thing? Diatom filters are out of my price range, and it seems like a UV filter/sterilizer would only be a temporary fix. I also have Flourish C02 and fertilizer, but I've never used them because I wasn't sure if they would encourage algae growth.

Any help is appreciated! :)

Swimmy, algae requires light and nutrients to bloom. you've mentioned the reduced lighting, is the tank exposed to direct natural sunlight? After chemical algae remedies are used there is a chance for an even bigger algae rebound. Water movement hinders algae growth, might consider a more powerful filter. I think your decision to hold off on the plant fertilizer is wise. Once your plants get established they should help reduce the available nutrients feeding the algae. Be careful to not over feed the fish. In a small tank bad things happen rapidly and more often. Once you figure out a balance things will be fine.

The aquarium doesn't receive any sunlight and at this point I don't think I am over feeding them, but the filter isn't super powerful. It's just a kit one that came with the tank, so maybe I'll go ahead and upgrade it to something a little stronger. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom