Red eared slider help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siva

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I'm not a member of a turtle forum yet so maybe someone here can help me?? I unexpectedly got a RES today...he's been mistreated..he came from the filthiest of tanks and it's way too small and it's got no heater. So Can I put one of my regular aquarium heaters in there or does he need a different kind of heater? I'm afraid of it being dangerous to him somehow..I have no idea of his behavior yet..maybe he'll chew on the cord? I guess I can put it in and watch him for a while and see if he messes with it..i don't know though I'll be going to bed soon. Anyone know?

Just be careful that it doesn't break a glass heater, they are clumsy! Make sure you have a heat lamp or a warm basking area.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

I bought 2 quarter-sized RES for my now-fiance' a few years ago and they grew quite large. We had a standard aquarium setup using a biowheel filter and a heater and never had any problems with it. Neither of them tried biting the cord since it was in the corner... they were more worried about getting out of the tank.

Red eared sliders are notorious for breaking aquarium heaters. Just make sure that you conceal it under rocks or something else that they won't be able to get to it.

Okay thank you. he didn't come with much, but he does have a small pile of rocks. I had to use a smaller than ideal heater so that it's short enough to stand verticle in the water so I don't have any of the cord in the water, and I positioned it behind some of his rocks. Looks like even with the smaller heater his temp is staying in the high 70's so I think that's okay for now. I can't believe he's been in unheated water all his life...sad. He does have a heat lamp over his basking rock..the one thing he did come with. I'm researching the heck outta them and going to set him up a real nice home, but it's going to take a bit of time to figure everything out so I'm just trying to keep him clean and warm in the meantime. His shell is 6-7" long and he's in a 20 long..poor thing. Now that I have him in clean water and out of the sewage he had been living in, you can see a thick layer of filthy build-up all over his skin! Omg it's so gross. Some of it's shaking loose due to his movement but he needs properly cleaned. It amazes me the conditions people will keep living beings in.

I wouldn't keep the rocks anywhere near the area where he "slides" into the tank. As mentioned before, they are clumsy and more or less throw themselves into the water without any regard for themselves or any decor. He could injure himself if landing on hard rocks.

Also, I've had mine for at least 4 years now and "she" (we just call the turtle a "she" because we don't know the sex) is around 12" from head to tail. She has never paid any attention to the heater wire whatsoever.

I wouldn't keep the rocks anywhere near the area where he "slides" into the tank. As mentioned before, they are clumsy and more or less throw themselves into the water without any regard for themselves or any decor. He could injure himself if landing on hard rocks.

Also, I've had mine for at least 4 years now and "she" (we just call the turtle a "she" because we don't know the sex) is around 12" from head to tail. She has never paid any attention to the heater wire whatsoever.

Okay the rock situation is what has me worried. His basking area is the pile of rocks. It's just a pile of largish rocks with a flat one on top. I've re-arranged this pile over and over again trying to make it as sturdy as possible, but I'm terrified something is gonna shift and pin him or something because he's roughing getting up and down. Goodness gracious if it worked for the orig owner all this time I pray it will work until I can get to my lfs later today and look for a better basking alternative!

Yeah it's too small of a pile..not enough rock to really set it up right but I've done my best. When I go to the lfs I was gonna grab a feeder fish for him (something I didn't want to have to do but I read the dead frozen ones are lacking crucial vitamins) and I read not to feed goldfish...aren't feeder fish goldfish..I've never bought a feeder..do you know what I should be looking for?

I'm not an advocate of feeder fish so I can't really be of much assistance. I guess anything that your turtle can catch and eat would be considered "feeder fish". I would be wary of the fish you see in local fish stores (LFS) though. They aren't well cared for and many times contain diseases.

In fact, I once bought Rosy Red Minnows for use as feeder fish for my turtle. But I didn't have the heart to put them in there and instead introduced them as part of my freshwater fish community :)

I hate feeder anything but I read I must do this to keep him healthy?

I'm only like a day into research though and it takes time to get info from lots of sources and figure out what make sense ya know...I'd love to avoid live feeders if I can :)

The only things I've ever fed mine are frozen beef heart chunks, different assortments of green vegetables and different assortments of turtle pellets bought from the store.

I know it's probably not the MOST enriching of diets, but it seems to work and she is doing well and growing big.

Ah ok thanks maybe I'll just go with some beef heart until I know more :)

The only things I've ever fed mine are frozen beef heart chunks, different assortments of green vegetables and different assortments of turtle pellets bought from the store.

I know it's probably not the MOST enriching of diets, but it seems to work and she is doing well and growing big.

Hey..I have learned a lot! I've been reading so much about these guys the past couple days my eyes hurt. One thing for sure about their diet..no raw meat. It causes obesity, pyramiding, and kidney problems. A better source of protein for them if you don't want to do live prey is can'o'crickets you can get at the petstore (preferably ones labeled gutloaded). Once a week is good. Or you can do a little canned tuna packed in water. On the greens they are not supposed to be given spinach or chard. I was glad I found this out early since those are the most common greens in my home. They can be offered some fruit once a month or so, apple peel more often is fine. Turtles over a year old they should be fed a head sized amount of pellets every other day and green vegetables pretty much every day. The juvenile turtles are more carnivores and as they get older turn into more of herbivores. Also a calcium source is crucial for them. They should be given a head sized peice of cuttlebone, with the hard backing removed, every few days or so. It can remain in the water for that time and then if not finished be swapped for a fresh one. It may take them a while to start eating them if not used to it but the calcium is crucial for their shell health. Okay just thought I'd share! :)

Wow! Good for you for doing the research!

I acquired two adults several years ago under the same curcumstances.

I found that very frequent pwc and proper water filtration with a high quality cannister filter to be essential to keeping RES, which I have grown to love.

The rock for basking area also scared me. I bought "turtle topper" and it made a huge difference to their health and had the added bonus of creating more swimming space under their basking area, and eliminated the potential problem of rocks cracking the glass.

It was worth every penny.

Back
Top Bottom