Red patch on cory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraceGish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390339376.957730.jpg

Sorry about the rubbish picture - they don't stay still for long!!

Today I found one of my corys with a red, sore looking patch by his fin. He's as wild as ever and doesn't look poorly in himself.

What should I do to treat it, or should I not worry and let it heal by itself?

All other fish looking healthy and parameters all perfect.

Thank you

Looks like a bite to me, I have quite a few Cories that have had similar marks. What fish do you have in with it?

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I have 4 corys
Neon tetras
Dwarf gouramis
Cherry barbs
And a stroppy pleco

Injured Corydoras

View attachment 218003

Sorry about the rubbish picture - they don't stay still for long!!

Today I found one of my corys with a red, sore looking patch by his fin. He's as wild as ever and doesn't look poorly in himself.

What should I do to treat it, or should I not worry and let it heal by itself?

All other fish looking healthy and parameters all perfect.

Thank you

Hello Frace...

Corys aren't careful swimmers sometimes. They can and do run into decorations, driftwood and rocks because they are hyperactive fish by nature and extremely curious. If you keep the water pure and feed a balanced diet, you're doing everything you can to keep them healthy.

I go against a lot of experienced water keepers saying this, but I dose a little standard aquarium salt in all my Cory tanks, have for years. A teaspoon in every 5 gallons keeps the skin healthy and I believe helps heal small injuries from tank décor or other fish.

Don't fret over a small blemish or a scratch, healthy fish in pure water conditions are fast healers.

B

I've actually just managed to track him down and he looks 100 times better, the red has almost gone. I'm happier now :) thank you for all advice

Back
Top Bottom