Red Point Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just purchased two Red Point Cichlids and wanted to know more about them. Has anyone ever had them and can tell me their experience with them? Thanks!

Jim

Well, they can get up to 5in. long, and should be kept in tanks of 29gallons for a minimum. Ideal tank mates for these cichlids are other Central american cichlids like convicts and firemouths. These fish should be cared for in the same way as their close cousins Cryptoheros nanoluteus and Cryptoheros sajica. These fish are somewhat territorial but not overly aggressive. They should be kept with other small to medium sized cichlids of similar temperament or most community fish that will grow to at least 2". This is a gorgeous cichlid that is relatively easy to care for. They are relatively peaceful for cichlids. They can safely breed with other fish in a larger tank so long as they have plenty of territory and any non-cichlid fish in the tank stay more towards the surface. There are breeding farms that have crossed the Honduran Red Point to regular convicts, and the resulting fry have been sold off as "Blue Convicts." So, be careful when purchasing anything simply labelled as "Blue Convicts" Males grow slightly larger and may grow a small nuchal hump. Males are usually a more icy blue color with possible shades of green. Once mature, the male can display a red coloration in the dorsal fin and tail. Females are typically a darker powder blue color and their finnage is usually a darker navy blue. These fish are not overly difficult to breed. Once a pair forms, they will clean a flattened surface where the female can lay the eggs. Once the eggs are laid, the female will guard them while the male guards the outer area. These fish do not mature nor breed quite as readily as the Convict cichlid.

Temps around 72-80 Degress F. and a pH of 7-8.

Thanks for all the info! I have them in a 46 gal tank with other smaller cichlids. I keep the water at about 78 with a ph of 7. They seem to be doing quite well. I don't know about breeding though. I only have two and I don't if they are a male and a female. I appreciate the quick response. That's why this site is go great!

Jim

Your welcome Jim, your setup seems good for your cichlids.

Yeah this site is a very good site, all the members are very knowledge and most of the time responde quickly, so that's always good.

,Ben

i like have some honduran redpoints, these guys arent a tough as a convict but they will hold their own especially when breeding, depending on how true they are affects their temprement ive noticed, ive had many, powder blue guys with no black at all that are pretty docile but can hold thei own spawning territory and ive have some that obviously have some convict in them with black stripes that are more agressive than the powder blue guys. i personally havent seen an honduran redpoint bigger than 3.5-4 inches. these guys will breed regularly about ever 3 weeks if you seperate the fry from them./

Honduran Red Points are bascially Convicts. They are just a different collection locality. So there temperment is basically the same ( may be a little less agressive), but they get the same size, and have a slightly different coloration. They are just as easy to keep as convicts.

Honduran Red Points are bascially Convicts. They are just a different collection locality. So there temperment is basically the same ( may be a little less agressive), but they get the same size, and have a slightly different coloration. They are just as easy to keep as convicts.

Archocentrus sp. “Honduran Red Point” is still an undescribed species but it is definatley not the same as a convict...

Notice, i said " Basically". Same water requirments, same food to eat, breed just as easily, same size, same way to sex them. Sounds pretty similar to me.

i noticed, i was just concerned with "They are just a different collection locality" ... im currently in the process of "cleansing" my tanks of 'dirty' honduran redpoints that were sold to me as pure...

i feel like honduran red points shouldnt have pronounced black stripes like convicts.. people tend to put lables on fish that might look like a different fish and sell it off for another.. those guys were bought at an auction labeled honduran redpoints but are obviously mixed...

***** female is one on the right side.. male is "supposed" to be an albino male honduran redpoint... and female isnt always really dark like that its in breeding colors..

I have owned 1 HRP. I bought it as a COnvict, but it most definatley was a HRP. It stripes were very faded, its colors more greenish and blended, and is orange more pronounced. I may have a pic around here. I have seen many HRP. Either admiring them at the store, or on another forum i belong to. HRP's are ALWAYS in breeding mode. You can tell when they are going to lay egg's, you will see a tube comming out of the anus, that tells you egg's are going to be there any day.

Back
Top Bottom