redheaded cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

torin31

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I went to my lfs looking for some food for the fishes when boom I see this huge fish called a redheaded cichlid. I had no idea what it was are they common etc he sold it to me for 20 bucks Canadian. I have it in a 55g with mbuna I no not the same kinda fish but they all seem to get along great. I guess there from Mexico from what i found out about them. I just love the look they seem to be very peacefull. Any input on this is greatly appreciated. He is about 10 inches. I will include a pic soon.

I have researched various sites and they have said 55 is the minimum for one and there is only one in there. Ph is almost the same they are 7.5to 8.5 pretty darn close to the same as mbuna. I know there not the same fish but lets face it these are not wild fish there captive bred like they no the difference. Diet they eat spiralina and some worms same as my peacocks. If it becomes a real problem I can bring my mbuna back as the lfs is a friend he will take them. I will take a close look to make sure there is no aggresion. As they are listed as peacfull only not when breeding or towards the same species. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• DSCF0749.jpg
    DSCF0749.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 96
They recommend hikari pelet food for staple which is what i feed my other fish I will probably return the mbuna in time. Thank you for the input I appreciate everything.

I have been watching him for over 24 hrs now no aggression what so ever and his mouth is actually very small. My johani actually pics on him a little. There not a very aggressive species towards other cichlid but to there own a different story. Especially a female. The mbuna have a new home as of tomorow there going back to the lfs the owners wants them for his own 120g tank he likes the current stock I have.

Just to let you guys no lfs friend took all my cichlids for his own 55g setup he liked them so much i got lots of money for them. So he is now in the tank by himself lots of room for him remodeled tank. I also got 2 cans of hikari food pellets and 3 cans of destressor and one huge can of salt for fresh cichlids.

Congrats. Can you take back the salt? It's not needed.

I was told it helps against ich and other ailments also acts as destressor why do they sell fresh water aquarium salt. Not doubting you just trying to learn that all.

No problem. Salt will help treat ich, but it has to be used in conjunction with heat and only when ich is already present. Salt stimulates slime coat production (by irritation) and that can enable a fish to fight off some disease (so the theory goes). I've never added it to any tanks myself (once I had read on the topic) and everyone's always been happy and bred for me. I've kept probably 100+ different types of FW fish and successfully bred 20+. Salt is a very profit margin driven product for LFSs. ;)

Back
Top Bottom