redsea's 125g FOWLR Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone! :) I have had this 125g up for a while now, and my original plan was to make it a reef tank. However, I don't want to have 13 fish in the tank with rock and coral, and then have an ich outbreak. I want to have the ability to treat in the tank if I ever get ich again. For background on this tank, visit this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/redseas-125g-reef-build-179038.html. I believe that I have ich now, so around this week I will start treating with hyposalinity. I would have kept using the same thread, but this tank won't be a reef anymore, so I decided to make a new thread (the reef will be a 55g :)).

This is the stock so far in the tank. :-D
1. Blue Hippo Tang
2. Scopas Tang
3. McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
4. Linespot Flasher Wrasse
5. Lawnmower Blenny
6. Orange Clownfish (Ocellaris)

Thanks for reading! I appreciate it! :-D

I hd ich a couple of times in my 180g FO tank. I treated with Cryto-pro and it is all gone. I also maintain 2 ppm of copper in the tank as a preventative. I don't have any inverts. I just wanted to put that out there so someone didn't kill their CUC.

UPDATE! :)

All the fish are still doing well, nothing has died! LOL.

It is so hard to tell if this is ich or not. Today on the one fish I closely observed, I saw a few spots, but none of the fish have fully broken out with anything yet. I would think that they would have considering they were netted twice yesterday and were in buckets while acclimating. :confused:

I haven't done anything with the tank today, I think I will wait to start hypo until my refractometer comes in (I need to order that tonight, LOL).

As always, thanks for following! :-D

So, I am just making sure.

When treating with hyposalinity you hsve to quickly lower the salinity, that way there is no chance at all for the ich to adapt, right? It woin't stress the fish, will it?

Thank you!

From what I've read, that is correct. I have read where others have put fish directly into a hyposalinity conditions. Not sure how it would affect any other inhabitants. This is usually done with a bare quarantine tank.

What is your opinion?

So, when I made this thread I was 100% sure that this was going to be a FOWLR tank because of the future possibilities of ich. The more I think about it, I do kind of want this to be a reef tank (because of the good lights and more space than the 55g). If I do decide to go reef again, I would do so after I treat this tank with hyposalinity (no copper so it is possible that I can put corals in).

Speaking of which I finally got my refractometer ordered last night! :)

So, do you think I should stop worrying about ich, and make this a reef again (after hypo), or should I keep it a FOWLR tank?

Thank you so much for your opinions/thoughts/comments! :-D

Yes stop worrying about ick lol I'm tired of having it and hearing about it . You allready have the lights for reef so stick with that . Don't let this stupid parasite have the power to change your tank plans.

Yes stop worrying about ick lol I'm tired of having it and hearing about it . You allready have the lights for reef so stick with that .
(y)Exactly ,,,i still don't understand your dilemma ?

Once a DT is fallow and ich or whatever else dies off you have all the control to keep any unwanted things out

OK, thanks! I am going to go with that then, and stop worrying about this. I will treat, and then it will be a reef again.

Thanks again! :)

Just wait until you have fully stocked your tank with fish and none of them have ich. Then add coral so that there isn't the possibility of ich being introduced to the system.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom