redsea's 125g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! I will make sure to keep it at an acceptable range, maybe I will even shoot for 1.007 so I have some leeway. :)

Everything is going pretty well. :) When I left the tank was about 1.010, so I need to get that down even more when I come back (I am on vacation in Florida). Haven't seen any spots on the fish in a while so that is a plus!

Thanks for asking both of you! I appreciate it!

redsea said:
Everything is going pretty well. :) When I left the tank was about 1.010, so I need to get that down even more when I come back (I am on vacation in Florida). Haven't seen any spots on the fish in a while so that is a plus!

Thanks for asking both of you! I appreciate it!

Where in Florida? Visiting any local stores while you are there?

I am in the west coast. I tired to visit a LFS I found yesterday but they were closed. :( I did try another place that was open but they only had FW.

Where on the west coast? And yes- in Florida most lfs close on Monday or Tuesday because that is when they drive to wholesalers for new livestock because that's when the wholesalers get their shipments in.

I was in Punta Gorda, now I am headed for Siesta Keys.

Thanks for the tip on the LFS. I will see if I can spot any more on my adventures ahead, lol.

If you go about 90 minutes south I could aim you in the direction of some great LFS in the Fort Myers and Bonita area. And they are all open today :p

Hey Redsea, Coral Connection on Clark Rd. is a 10 minute drive from Siesta. They also are closed Mon.&Tues., but will be open tomorrow!! Small place, but one of my favs for corals. Nice guys Ray and Jason

Thank you both for the suggestions! I, unfortunately didn't have time to stop anywhere due to a busy schedule.
Thanks again! ;)

Buffy said:
Glad all is going well.

Thanks! Yep, all the fish are still alive and kicking which is great. I am, however, still having aggression issues between the two Wrasses. The McCosker's keeps chasing the Linespot. I am hoping the aggression will stop once I add more rock, as there isn't much in there at the moment.

I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that if you mix up some of the rocks, it confuses them and the part I don't remember is how this calms down there aggression. Sorry to give you only a little but it's all I could remember. I will try to find where I read it.

Buffy said:
I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that if you mix up some of the rocks, it confuses them and the part I don't remember is how this calms down there aggression. Sorry to give you only a little but it's all I could remember. I will try to find where I read it.

It sometimes works because it confuses them into believing its a new environment. I'm a firm believer in this because it works when I add a new tang. However, I always add two fish at a time so the original fish aren't sure who to go after

Today I am working on getting the salinity into full hypo conditions! I checked it this morning with my refractometer, and it looked like it could have been at 1.009, but I wanted to lower it some more to be safe. I saw some weird spots by the gills on my Clownfish in there this morning so hopefully they will drop off with the salinity drop. :)

So that means today marks the start of the countdown for when I can begin to bring the salinity back up. It is after I see the last spot though, right?

I have an update for the tank this lovely Saturday morning, LOL.

First off, the tank has been in hypo for about a week now. When I checked the salinity yesterday it looked like it was at 1.009, and I added a bit of freshwater. I think today or tomorrow I will do a PWC with freshwater to bring it even lower. I just don't want it to get above 1.009 (I hope it hasn't).

Secondly, my Clownfish and Linespot Flasher are not looking their best. The Clownfish is the worst, I noticed he wasn't looking himself when I got back from Florida. He looks a bit thin, and by his head he has some spots that look like ich but it also looks like it could be something else too. I did have someone caring for the tanks while I was away.

Linespot Flasher: He has a little cut in his tail and the other day he seemed to be acting a little weird. I think the culprit is probably the other Wrasse.

On a happy note, all of the other fish are doing well with no visable signs of ich! Also, I might go to the LFS today and purchase some corals for the 55g, we shall see!

How often has the tank been fed while you were gone...?
Did you have this person watching the tank check the salinity everyday?
Good luck ,and hope all goes well

Thanks FTMMWS.

I didn't have the salinity checked daily :hide: I figured it would be okay because it was in hypo when I left and I had them add water for evaporation when it was needed. :hide:

The fish were feed every other day while I was away.

Thanks for your post!

Back
Top Bottom