Redtail catfish 17"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it just the one fish? He will be good for a yr or so in that tank I bet. I had 2 hybrids and there are very cool to watch. I feed mine bluegills in the summer I use a minnow trap to catch then free food it saves a lot and they love to eat live fish.

No I am really over stocked with 2oscar 2jd 1teaxes. They are all young and get along very well. I am in the process of building a bigger tank.

Nice u should be good for a while. that hybrid will eat all those fish when he grows bigger lol. Any pics of your setup?

A few shots not that good tho..
ForumRunner_20130324_165627.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130324_165721.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130324_165721.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 104
  • ForumRunner_20130324_165740.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130324_165740.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 107
I wish I could have a red tail but they are illegal in Australia

Because of how big they grow and because they eat everything they reckon if someone pet it go wild in would wreck a whole creek or river

Beautiful cat :)
That's the one fish that makes this girl go all starry eyed.
I'm happy that you have him in a large tank, I often see them shoved in tanks not suitable for their size.

Our little guy really only comes out at night time to hunt for food and move around. He hides in his cave or behind/under plants, if you turn the lights out he will swim around as well, which we tend to do often just to watch him!

That's an awesome red tailed catfish! I've had a couple of catfish before but always native never anything exotic.

A temperature consistent with most tropical aquariums is perfect for these fish. I've had the best coloration and growth with 77°F. Unless you're keeping these fish in a large display, I highly recommend a bare bottom setup with some larger pieces of pvc or driftwood. This provides hiding spots, but also is the easiest to clean. Water changes are essential with any aquarium, but even more so when it comes to large catfish. Up to 40 percent water changes 2-3 times a week are recommended. This keeps water levels where they should be. While most fish stores will suggest feeding feeder fish to aquatic predators, it is best to get them onto a prepared diet ASAP. Feeder fish are bred for quantity rather than quality and can pass on any disease to your fish. I've never heard of a catfish refusing food, so this should be very easy. Feed a variety of food. Mine get a mix of Hikari Massivore Pellet, Sinking Algae Wafers, Freeze Dried Krill, Frozen Krill, Frozen Bloodworms, Dew Worms, Black Worms, Earthworms, Frozen Market Shrimp, Tilapia etc. Frozen Seafood Medley (mussles, calamari, shrimp, fish fillet etc) is a life saver. Same with bait shops. As I'm sure you can see, there is a lot of meat in this diet. Hence the high water change volume. As they get larger, some catfish become sort of like swimming dogs and will readily accept foods from your hand and come to the surface to be pet. RTCs can reach up to 4 feet in length and weigh well over 50 lbs. TSNs are in the same boat. They are actually both considered great game fish. Becoming increasingly available in the hobby is a hybrid of the two. Commonly called a Red Tailed Tiger Shovelnose. However, these hybrids can suffer from something known as hybrid vigor. They grow big, fast. And because they are relatively new to the hobby, no one knows for sure how large they get. I know someone on another forum who has had his fish for less than 2.5 years and it currently measures 37". All in all, these fish are incredible. They are, like I've said, swimming dogs. They are some of the most long-lived fish available, able to live 20 years or longer.

I love your discus! I'm living vicariously through people who have them. I'd love to have a tank of them but I'm not brave enough yet to tackle it!

I could have watched that video for hours! What do you have in there with them? Were they cory cats? Maybe that will be my next tank! I have a lot of questions, sorry! Do they like a long or tall tank better? I might can get my hands on a 55 long pretty cheap. That's a beautiful tank!! Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom