Redtail Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calypso77

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a Redtail Shark with a male platy and female Molly. I have notice he only chases the Molly and only at certain times. Wondering if this could be during his mating time that he does it. I know they are semi aggressive fish but he is very good with the Molly most of the time just now and then he gets like this.

It's only gonna keep getting worse. Red tail sharks are really aggressive and grow large.

How big is your tank?

RTBs are aggressive fish as it is but do get worse when they aren't given the space they need. Generally the aggression will only get worse as it matures. Provided your tank is big enough you could try rearranging things and making sure there are a lot of hiding spots, plants and a place to make his "territory"

Oh ya I do know they are semi aggressive and get more as they age, I just wasn't sure if there was a method to their madness. As he is great with them most times just a few days every maybe 4ish weeks that he gets like this. And he only does it with the female, he couldn't care less about the male.

Oh no. It's a 20g. If I were you just rehome or return him. Too many problems unless you can upgrade to a 75-90. The reason most probably is he hasn't got enough room.

Ya he is in 20 gal right now with 1 other fish. They are fine in it right now til we upgrade, not to that big tank though. ;/ With only 2 fish in it I know I don't need a massive size (20 gal not for too long). It is just odd to me for it to be happening the pattern that it is.

We did take the female out last night and everything is great now, he was stressing her to the max so now he is just in there with a male Platy and not having any issue's which is good. It's just the stinking pattern of his that is strange to me.

You are going to need at least 55 gallons for him and even more if you hope to have other fish with him. I know they don't grow overly large but they are more aggressive than some of the other popular sharks like Rainbows.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom