reef lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phantomsk8er5

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would like to put some sps corals, shroom corals, and maby a anemones in my tank but im not sure if I have the right lighting for that. Right now I have a twin tube strip light on my 55 g. Im thinking of getting a triple tube strip light. Would that be the right lights to be able to get those corals?

umm is it just regualr no fluroescent. i am pretty sureif it is you wont be able to keep sps, or an anenome, i dunno about shrooms cuz i am still a newbie too. after a lot of reading tho i think you need pc,vho or mh lighting. i am not sure so dont quote me on n e thing, its just my 2 cents. hopefully someone with more experience will chime in and help i out. lol

If you want to keep sps, you will need at the MINIMUM 2 175W MH. You may be able to get enough with PC or VHO but you'll have to stuff your (new custom made) hood with them. You sould not attempt to keep any corals other than very low light types like mushrooms and zooanthids with the lighting you have, even if you double it.
I don't want to discourage you, I want you to succeed. Spend the big $$ and get MH, you won't regret it.
By the way, I retrofit my DIY hood with 2 175W MH for around $200 a few years ago. I can be done cheap if you're handy.

There is a user "CoolTouchLighting" on ebay that sells retro kits cheap.. As well as Darin from Captivereefs.com has good hoods as well.. I say build yourself a hood out of wood and get a retro It will be cheaper..

HTH,
James

There are many Ideas out on the web however its kinda a personal choice.. Design a box that sits about 14" off the top of your tank... All in all you want your lights about 8" off the water.. I did mine 14"... I designed a box that was stable and the went for the doors part afterwards.. It didnt turn out all that great but it didnt turn out all that bad... If I knew where some plans were Id help ya out but I dont..

James

That is PC lighting that will serve again only lower light corals. I have known a few people to have success keeping anemones (lowerlight requiring) under PC, but SPS simply wouldn't be maintained for long. Soft corals such as leathers and even most LPS corals should be fine under those lights. But like most reefers who have done this for a while will tell you if this is a hobby you want to stay in then go ahead and buy the halides. Eventually you'll want to upgrade and find that you waisted time and money with anything else.

HTH,
R

I wouldnt use it for most SPS.. Some of the lower light ones like M. Digitata would be ok maybe.. You really need MH lights if you really plan on keeping SPS and Anemones.. Full canopy Or Retro Kit

Both of these kits are going to need MH bulbs.. I wouldnt really go for anything less than either of those kits..

HTH<
James

ok i think ill go with the ebay retrokit. As soon as i can afford it with my 7 dollars a week allowance. :cry: thats going to take a while. Thank you for help everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom