Reef Lobster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raleighfishnerd

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So the past couple days I have noticed little piles of sand and rubble in front of tiny caves. Couldn't figure out what was doing it till I saw this little guy pushing piles around

image-3804887258.jpg

Can't get a pic but from under the tank I can see him much better in his caves he has dug all the way to the glass

Just looked and I now see the little guy has befriended my yellow watchman goby and they have taken a cave up front

image-324102572.jpg

image-3799949748.jpg

image-2655235505.jpg

Attachments

• image-2002182568.jpg
    image-2002182568.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 131
I'm on my phone, so it's difficult for me to tell from that pic, but if he's friends with your YWG, it could be a tiger pistol shrimp. I have a pair myself, cute guys. :)

The very first pic looks like a mantis shrimp to me. I don't see the claws indicative of a pistol shrimp. Their claws look like pretty typical lobster type claws, with one being bigger than the other. A mantis' forelimbs fold up under its body.

it would be pretty weird for a mantis to tolerate a fish that close to it though.:confused:

Last edited:
I really can't tell anything from that 1st pic, but I hope it's not a mantis because if it is, he'll probably eat that YWG. :(

To me it`s some type of pistol shrimp. The reef lobster is a well defined purple and orange. Hard to really tell from the pictures.

Yeah I was just looking at some tiger pistol shrimp pics and saw a few that looked identical

Back
Top Bottom