Refracometer Calibration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr_tee0419

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got a new refrac and the instructions are a bit confusing. It tells me that the ambient room temperature for proper calibration is 68F. Is that correct? It also says that shifts in ambient room temperature will require recalibration for accurate readings..? I don't understand that part. I'm not going to be using it at 68F, so there will be a shift. Help please! TIA.

I think you should have spent the extra few bucks and got one that is "auto calibrating" and makes internal adjustments based on the temp. Really they are only a few bucks more and you never have to worry about it...

Its a Captive Purity, it was $70 from Marine Depot. That was about all I wanted to spend since I only have a fish only tank. I did not see one that was "auto calibrating".

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as it reads 1.000 with pure water you're good to go. Also, I'd be very surprised if it didn't have ATC.

At 70 bucks, I would be pissed if it wasn't ATC. FWIW, Premium Aquatics (our sponsor) typically sells a good ATC refracrometer for around 45 bucks, when they have them in stock (they go very fast).

Back
Top Bottom