Refuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyspot1000

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello,

I was just wondering if there was such thing as a Freshwater Refugium. If so, what are the benefits of it (pros and cons)? I know that in SW it helps with the growth of pods and other micro organisms, but what does it do for FW? Nothing?

Thanks

The growth of the plants would help reduce nitrates and all that. I think if you had the lights on opposite hours it would minimize the daily ph fluctuations but it wouldn't make any noticable difference.

But you might as well just put the plants in your DT since they look nice anyway, unless you have cichlids or something. Seems pretty unnecessary in FW.

A saltwater refugium can be for other things too, like nutrient export. This is why most have macroalgae growing in them.

In freshwater it would really only be useful if the fish in the display will eat plants, hence the need for the plants to have a refuge. I personally don't like sumps in freshwater with very few exceptions, even on huge setups.

I personally don't like sumps in freshwater with very few exceptions, even on huge setups.

Not to steal the the thread but you have mentioned you were against FW sumps a few times just curious why? I have a sump on my 150 african set up and could not be more pleased with the benefits of a sump.

Pros:
Increase system water volume, allow for higher stocking
Increased surface area (esp. when a wet/dry is used), so better air/O2 exchange
You can grow algae in the sump (making it into a fuge) to remove nitrates (You can grow plants too, but green algae is much easier!)
You can grow out frys in the fuge if you have hungry fish in your display
You can hide equipment in the sump

Cons:
Complicated plumbing
Noisier
Risk of flood if not properly set up

Personally, I think a sump is underrated in FW ... I am certainly happy with how mine is working.

Closed canisters have much better mechanical filtration since there is no option of bypass, and this is vital in freshwater systems. In an open filtration system like a sump or HOB when the media is even partially blocked water will flow around it (water always takes the path of least resistence). This means water is moving but not being cleaned. Wet/dry or drip filters collect debris that can breakdown into nitrate and phosphate. So unless you go in every month to remove that debris you can create a nitrate factory and block off beneficial bacteria from getting the food and oxygen they need.

Working with lots of different canisters and filtration systems the best I have seen is a canister that has a backwash option. This allows you to easily (which means you will actually do it) clean the media every time you drain the tank. This prevents debris from collecting and becoming a nitrate factory. It also makes all the maintenance that much easier.

IMO the benefits of extra volume shouldn't matter (if it is making that big of a difference then the tank is too small, period). Only with fish like rays is hiding the equipment that beneficial (for function, any tank will benefit visually).

Flow and aeration completely overpower surface area for gas exchange.

If starting from the beginning the cost and time involved for each at best match up. If it were my tank I absolutely will put canisters on it. Even if I used a sump (such as a tank with rays where I need to keep them away from the heaters) I would still use some sort of canister (like the ones that have backwash options) to ensure I have adequate and proper filtration.

Pros:
Increase system water volume, allow for higher stocking
Increased surface area (esp. when a wet/dry is used), so better air/O2 exchange
You can grow algae in the sump (making it into a fuge) to remove nitrates (You can grow plants too, but green algae is much easier!)
You can grow out frys in the fuge if you have hungry fish in your display
You can hide equipment in the sump

Personally, I think a sump is underrated in FW ... I am certainly happy with
how mine is working.

Exactly why I love my Aqua Pro sump.

Back
Top Bottom