Refuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pph_2ppr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Should a refugium have lighting on 24 7? if not should the lighting run with or opposite to the main tank?

is this a valid question?

I keep mine on pretty much 24/7 but I do give it a break of a few hours during lights on in the main tank every once in a while. For the most part though my fuge lights are on all the time. I have considered going to a reverse lighting schedule with timers, lights off fuge on lights on fuge off. I haven't decided. Right now things are doing very well with the 24/7 lighting so I'm not going to change anytime soon.

HTH

with so much macro algae it a refugium is it possible to raise an urchin or two in it? do they require live rock to hide it? can they be exposed to light 24/7?

If i bought a HOB Fuge would the lighting effect the main tank? (when lights are off in the main tank will the light spilling over from the fuge throw anything off?)

If you put a cover on the back of the tank you might be OK. I have a 40 gallon refuge and it has alot of calerpa in it. The light has to be on 24/7 to keep calerpa to keep it from going sexual. But if you dont have calerpa then you can cut lights off oppisite the main as you suggested in earlier post.

It depends on the urchin. Mine graze the corraline off the rock (I have a pencil and a pincushion) and sometimes the sand or glass. The pincushion will pick up anything, including snails, pieces of algae (mine even carried the hydrometer around for a day), rock. So I would stay away from them in a fuge, that you want to keep your algae in one place. The pencil urchin can move or shift light rockwork when he decides to get inbetween two pieces. I have noticed the pincushion will eat hair algae (I just think he eats whatever is on the rock). If you want one in your fuge, go with the pencil, but I would have some rockwork for him. I'm not sure about a long spined urchin, but that will be one of my next purchases.

so a pencil urchin doesnt care how long the lights are on or how much room it has as long as there is something to graze on?

I don't think anything really appreciates a 24/7 lighting schedule, but that doesn't mean it will up and die. As long as the urchin has food to graze on it will be ok. FWIW I noticed better macro algae growth and more pods in my fuge after decreasing my lighting schedule from 24 to 18 hours.

I agree with MT, you may want to put the lights on a timer, to give it a little R&R.

ive looked further into this and i think that i could have a larger refuge. i would use a clear plastic container. my overflow would flow into it and i would drill a hole on the opposite end to lead to my sump from there the sump's pump would get the water back to the display tank.

would it be better to have the refuge come after the sump and be higher then the display tank so all i would have to do is drill a hole and let the water flow?

would my first point be subject to flooding?

I don't think you would have a flood issue as much as a flow issue. I think that restricting your flow to go through the fuge before going to the sump could mess with your GPH return. Does your fuge have to be a HOB? Can it be part of your under tank setup next to or near your fuge? Where is your skimmer?

refuge come after the sump and be higher then the display tank so all i would have to do is drill a hole and let the water flow?
That is the by far the best way to set up a fuge. A true refugium is set up that way, and meant to be seen. If you have the room, etc. definitely do it. Many times pumps destroy or inhibit animals from getting from the fuge to the tank, negating many of the benefits. I'd imagine you could then just "T" off the return so the fuge gets some flow, and use a large enough pump so it will still provide the main w/ water movement as well. I'm not positive, just a quick thought.

The only thing I would caution you on there is that water flow through your fuge should be slow and gentle not fast. As MT79 said the best way is above with gravity puting the water into the main tank. I think much much more then 300-450gph through the fuge would be too much. The main purpose is for nutrient export and for that to occur your water needs to "hang-out" with the macro in the fuge.

could i buy a small pump to get water to the fuge from the main tank then it would just flow back it ( seperate from the sump)?

I think it would be ok, but your adding more equipment to the display that way. T'ing it off of the main would be cleaner. A diagram or pic would help people visualize it w/ you and give you tips.

how could i post a diagram on the web? i could scan a pic onto the comp but how do i get it into the forum?

Attachments

• fish_tank_284.jpg
    fish_tank_284.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 336
looks good to me. I have a similar setup except that my "fuge" is just chaetomorpha thrown in the sump with a NO light above it. I run my lighting opposite of the main. I may have too much flow in there, but it doesn't seem that way. My chaeto is growing well and has done so for over a year now. HTH

Back
Top Bottom