refugium question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

g3750

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 155 gal reef tank and have been having issues with nitrates recently. Without out going into too much detail. I have one question is kelp on rock or Botryocladia sp. work as well at other macro algaes? I'm just wondering if there is a better macro I sould be using. The kelp on rock is the only plant in the refugium that has detritus clinging to it and covered in bubbles. I'm curious if this is not some of my problem. I have a 3" LSB, 100 lb of live rock ( I'm getting more ) and have done 20% water change with little or no change in nitrates....

What other filtration are you using on the tank. Is the macro growing and require regular pruning. Macros will only remove nutrients when they are growing.

lmkbubblfsh.gif
to AquariumAdvice.com!!

My favorite Macro algae is my Spagetti culerpa. Watch out for the grape, while I have never had it go asexual, others have. I think as long as you keep it pruned it wont.

I have pre filter ( odviously )
dumping directly to inlet side of refugium
filters through mix of bio balls and macro media
filters across 4 sea grapes and 2 other green type no spagetti name slipped my mind. then to sump side where it is skimmed dumped back in and back into system. :roll:

Hey G, I've experimented a LOT woth refugiums over the years.

This isn't a quick fix but give it 2 months and I believe you will be happy.

Remove your prefilter and remove a handful of your bio-balls every day until they are all gone.

If your sand bed doesn't have obvious signs of life then get a refresher box of live sand. Something pulled fresh from the ocean or from another successful DSB.

remove the prefilter completely huh... hmmm ok.
I am assuming that I will remove the bio balls and replace with macromedia?

Yep, I sell it on Ebay, did you get some?? I think you did, is all well?? My pod population has EXPLODED!!!

Back
Top Bottom