Replacing Return Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ed0009

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I will be replacing my externally mounted return pump that is attached to a bulkhead in my sump however I need to replace the bulkhead and and glue a pc.of pvc to it. I guess I would have to drain a portion of my sump. The question is how long can the system be turned off so I can do the work?

Thanks,
Ed

You can turn it off for as long as you like as long as the main system has the appropriate amount of flow to keep CO2 exchange going. At a minimum it'll have to be down for 24 hours to make sure the PVC glue is all dry and the silicone for the bulkhead has cured. This is more of a focus on the silicone than the PVC glue/primer.

Thanks SniperHank. Do you think keeping my power heads on along with a air pump and air stone be enough to aerate tank in the mean time

Easily. You can run a tank sump less with ease. Many people do it, it just makes things easier and convenient. Just go with the power heads. A tank should have 10-50x turnover of the water column. There is no need for an air stone. It'll cause you issues as the popping bubbles will cause salt creep.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom