Repopulation after ich wipeout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tysonj55

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently lost my pleco and oscar to ich. (last week) The only survior in a thirty gallon tank is a lone feeder guppy that I won't put back in the feeder tank where he came from. The outbreak was a bad one and the second one of its kind. What should I do with the tank before re-stocking to ensure I don't have a third.? Thanks

well you can raise the temperature in the tank to speed up the life cycle of the parasite and i guess you can treat the water with medicine like Jungles Ich Away

Hope you can solve your problem

Yeah.. i would move the guppy and scrub the tank... then start over :( how sad for you... :(

Im curious to find out if you have figured out the sorce of your ick problems.. if you start over that would mean a completely new cycle on the tank.. but I dont see how you have a choice unless you stock it with feeder gupps to keep enough bio-load on the tank to heat treat it.. It sounds like your livestock sorce might be the ick problem.. you might want to get a QT tank and heat treat all incoming fish for ick even if they show no signs of the illness.. I dont advocate using salt or meds by the way.. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom