Rescape suggestions/thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joefiatoa

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i rescape my 40 and added some organic choice potting mix to help with the plant substrate. Capped with regular gravel. Any suggestions to help keep them all alive? Do i need to dose with fertz or can I get by without? I have a diy co2 going straight into a 10g filter with the filter Part. The tried the thread tying method with the Java moss on a giant piece of driftwood.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418445065.530248.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418445079.281436.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418445096.113362.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418445122.502653.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418445143.918011.jpgtaken out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That dark green plant in the front with the yellow stripes. Do you know the name of the plant? Because I don't think they'll grow underwater

I don't remember. I picked it up on black Friday. But it seems to be doing ok so far.

Petco and Petsmart are notorious for selling plants that are only semi-aquatic and not fully aquatic. I'd watch that plant, and other plants with similar leaves (dark green with yellow stripes). They survive in water for a couple weeks and then they just slowly die

Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions on keeping the moss true green

I think Java moss brightens up the healthier it is, so you could start dosing Flourish excel and Flourish Iron, or bump up your lightage and do co2. Don't really keep Java moss that much, but I've seen it in high tech tanks and they're bright green in them

For lights I have 2 65w 6500 flood lights. Figure that should be good for a 40g

Regardless, I guess they're pretty good for a 40g tank. I've seen less work as well so you should be fine. Just start dosing fertilizer and if you wanna make a leap, start doing co2.

Ok. Ya and I have a diy co2 set up that seems to work well at least from what I can tell.

Good, then don't worry about it :) your tank seems to be coming along fine. Let the plants slowly fill out and update with pics

Also, There doesn't need to be too much of any of these 3: Nutrients, Lighting, co2. When they're in balance, plants thrive excellently. If any of these 3 become unbalanced, however, the plants can start growing slower and algae may overtake them

Ok thanks a lot. I'm trying to grow a carpet but not having any luck. I've tried star reopens baby tears. No luck. What's the best way to do it so they grow by themselves without having to place each stem piece by piece.

Most foreground plants require a high tech setup, with stronger lights and pressurized co2, not just DIY. It's because they're so low to the substrate that they need higher lights, and if they did end up surviving, they'd stretch up to try to ''reach'' the light. What I did as a low light setup was get some mesh, sandwich it between some flame moss and let it grow. It does get a little messy but I don't know any better alternatives other than trying out the plant and hoping it'll grow

Back
Top Bottom