Rescue BLACK SKIRT TETRA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a question for you all... I keep checking Craigslist almost daily for those amazing deals that may pop up and continually for the last several weeks I see an ad for a lone Black Skirt Tetra that came with a used tank this person got... Ad says he's healthy and is free to whoever wants him...

I've seem them in the store and know they get up to 3"... and need a school, right?
It couldn't be he's gotten used to being alone and could be happy in a community tank without others of his kind...? Right?

If I were to get him... Is he unsuitable for a 10g? I'd have to get 5-7 more to make him happy, right?

What do you all suggest? I see him so often and I feel inclined and have that URGE to go snag him up....
What do you suggest?

The thing with black skirt tetras is that in school their aggression is spread throughout the numbers ad they tend to be fin nippers. I had a school of 6 and they ravaged my cardinal tetras eating all 6 of them before I caught them in action.

My opinion is that if you get him is that you'd have to add 7 or 8 more and depending on your stock that could be overstocking or not very compatible.

The choice is yours in the end and I'm sure many of us are here for any questions you may have.

Chronos313 said:
The thing with black skirt tetras is that in school their aggression is spread throughout the numbers ad they tend to be fin nippers. I had a school of 6 and they ravaged my cardinal tetras eating all 6 of them before I caught them in action.

My opinion is that if you get him is that you'd have to add 7 or 8 more and depending on your stock that could be overstocking or not very compatible.

The choice is yours in the end and I'm sure many of us are here for any questions you may have.

So you're saying 7-9 in a 10g by themselves is overstocked, right?

I think with water changes up to 40 to 50% every week I think that would be fine. Maybe even 25% as they don't have a huge bio load. Maybe look at some oto's or corys as a clean up crew and your golden. I'm hoping mumma will chime in soon to show the light lol

My ears are burning lol!!
IMO they really need a 20g long for a proper school. Chronos is right. They are very nippy if kept in small groups. I had 4 that terrorized a tank. I upped the school to 6 and it continued. Upped it again to 8 and it finally stopped. I would recommend at least 8 for a school which simply isn't possible in a 10g.

Mumma.of.two said:
My ears are burning lol!!
IMO they really need a 20g long for a proper school. Chronos is right. They are very nippy if kept in small groups. I had 4 that terrorized a tank. I upped the school to 6 and it continued. Upped it again to 8 and it finally stopped. I would recommend at least 8 for a school which simply isn't possible in a 10g.

Elise... I don't have a 20g L EMPTY! LOL
Okay, so i should be a responsible fish owner and leave him alone with where he is... But he's allllllll aloneeee :-(

Chronos313 said:
I think with water changes up to 40 to 50% every week I think that would be fine. Maybe even 25% as they don't have a huge bio load. Maybe look at some oto's or corys as a clean up crew and your golden. I'm hoping mumma will chime in soon to show the light lol

I do 50-75% PWC in all my tanks weekly... In my newborn/nursery I do every other day just to keep pristine. In my juvie 20g L tank I do 2 50% PWC/wk.

No more Otos! :) had rough luck with them.. Still have one left in my 29g.
Cory's are interesting and I like the look of them, but If the skirts would overstock, why get more fish?

Mumma.of.two said:
They are very nippy if kept in small groups. I had 4 that terrorized a tank.

Really? I have 4 and they play nice. Super mild. That's weird lol I've always had backwards fish haha

Mumma.of.two said:
If you stocked your QT then you'd need a new QT to stock so you can get another one to stock and another and another! Rofl! Then you'll end up like me! :D

Theres nothing wrong with Mumma! :-D
Sigh... He's calling me... :-( but i want to do what's right also..

As I tell my wife I'm always right. It's sad to see a lone schooling fish like that but that's the unfortunate part of this hobby is that more care for their fish then others and that's the downside to retail chains and no education on species. If you want to use your ten gallon, maybe try chili rasboras or another nano fish with corys and a mystery snail. Do a dark background with lots of cover being plants, driftwood, and something else. If doing schools of 8 also try celestial pearl danios they are neat. Maybe some rcs as well that'll make the tank pop.

Chronos313 said:
As I tell my wife I'm always right. It's sad to see a lone schooling fish like that but that's the unfortunate part of this hobby is that more care for their fish then others and that's the downside to retail chains and no education on species. If you want to use your ten gallon, maybe try chili rasboras or another nano fish with corys and a mystery snail. Do a dark background with lots of cover being plants, driftwood, and something else. If doing schools of 8 also try celestial pearl danios they are neat. Maybe some rcs as well that'll make the tank pop.

Well I didnt WANTTT to stock my 10g QT... I wanted to find a way to have him in the 10g.. But won't if it just will cause problems.., :)

I still have to get a Qt tank, but justifying it to my preggo wife is not a venture I want. I'm getting a ten gallon for my kid still, since they are only 35 bucks. But with an apartment I have to justify space and trust me I want a 55gallon lol Xmas doesn't come soon enough

Mumma.of.two said:
If you stocked your QT then you'd need a new QT to stock so you can get another one to stock and another and another! Rofl! Then you'll end up like me! :D

Well... If you stocked the QT tank then you'd have to get a new one... Maybe you could find a 20g tank on craigslist for the price of a new 10g? :D

ocminpin said:
Turns out I can't find the ad on Craigslist anymore... He must be gone... Relief to me.. Haha..

I hope he went to a good home to be in a nice school. :)

I keep seeing a 6in Chinese algae eater on craigslist. The add says he's territorial and will do best with bigger fish. I have little fish and I don't know how big he will get when he's full grown.

Bearchumjs said:
I hope he went to a good home to be in a nice school. :)

I keep seeing a 6in Chinese algae eater on craigslist. The add says he's territorial and will do best with bigger fish. I have little fish and I don't know how big he will get when he's full grown.

Ohhhhh no! Don't do it! They can get 12" and start attacking your fish.., they attach to your fish and suck off their slime coat...

Ew. I figured that he'd get too big. I just hope someone with a big tank takes him so he can live to his full potential.

Back
Top Bottom