Rescued an Oscar, now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
well one of my students was telling me about how her step mom was threatening to throw their oscar into a snow bank, as it was beating up their other fish. since i had an empty 45 laying around i agreed to give it a new home as a classroom pet.

the thing is about 6 inches long, and shy as can be. if anyone gets near the tank it "plays dead". i under stand this is normal for oscars (i have never kept an oscar before, but this is what i have read). to be honest i am getting sick of kids alway telling me my fish is dead, and asking if they can poke it, or banging on the glass:censor:

any suggesting on how to make it more comfortable? dither fish was a thought, but since she feed it almost exclusivly live feeder goldfish, i am afraid it will view any other fish as food. not to metion the 45 is not realy big enough for any other fish.

i realy had not interest in an oscar, but i just could not let her put him in the snow :(

From what I've read about oscars, he's probably in a funk over the recent move. They are highly intelligent fish and your oscar also probably misses the other fish that he was beating up. He'll get over it in a few days as he gets used to the new surroundings. Give him some caves to hang out in and some plastic plants to dig up and toss around.

Back
Top Bottom