Rescued tank: help a reefer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigRedsReefs10

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok guys so it's been a long time since I've run a fw tank and I could use some advice. I rescued a tank that was left behind in my building after someone moved out (landlord said it was me or the toilet so....) and I could use advice on the stocking of the tank, I'd like to change the substrate not sure if this is a good or bad idea, I'd like to get the couple plants looking better, and I may tweak the scape a little, really any idea is a good idea so let me hear them. Ok so here we go
29g standard tank
Ac50 with stock media
150w heater
T8 plant bulb
img_3015788_0_42c8a2bb8adb756c37952de9ad339d8b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Stock list appears to be mostly tanganyikan cichlids, 1 opaline gourami, 1 desmani cichlid ( going to be removed), 3 plecos ( not commons, some exotics), 3 green Cory cats, 1 calvus, 2 bichardi (m-f pair), 2 unknown (to me) cichlids pretty sure they are both types of shell dwellers, 1 rainbow shark, 1 other unknown fish.
img_3015788_1_b724bf0633c5a79ffa348ea0f631a207.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3015788_2_586ebba9ef88ac82cf3e6f626708c0e0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3015788_3_508519ed09b61eba301d98915d4ef8ef.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
The 2 unknown possible shell dwellers

img_3015788_4_66f932b2bc1e41a6cc33134ac272a190.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3015788_5_e1d04e82026002336e4aa2a3db060237.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Would there be enough bb built up on the decor/filter to ditch the gravel and replace it with sand?

Yes I think you should be able to change the substrate the filter should have enough beneficial bacteria to handle that

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well yesterday was tank re-scape day, tweaked a few things in my 10g reef and finally got around to getting rid of that hideous gravel :eek:. Picked up some black sand (love the look in nanos for some reason) and a couple plants and went about catching every one and scooping out all the gravel.

Pretty pleased with the results, but would like something to take up a little more height so might go see what the lfs has in terms of driftwood this weekend.

And I also have a couple questions, was wondering what a good low light background plant would be? A good low light moss for either some ground cover or to attach to the driftwood on the right?And how would you recommend removing tannins from the larger awkward shaped pieces of driftwood (a piece that won't fit in a pot)?

Also wondering what would be some good livestock additions. Would like to get a some coris, and would like a school to make the tank look a little more active

What's the current full stock? From the original post it sounds like the tank was both overstocked and horribly stocked compatability wise.

Also wondering what would be some good livestock additions. Would like to get a some coris, and would like a school to make the tank look a little more active

you're going to have to decide either tropical community or cichlids. You won't have longterm success with the current stock in the tank.

What's the current full stock? From the original post it sounds like the tank was both overstocked and horribly stocked compatability wise.

Ya I don't think to much research went into this tank unfournately. The current stock is the 5 tanganyikans, opaline gourami, red tail shark, and a clown Pleco I believe. Had a few losses shortly after the move, don't think I should of re-used the gravel :(.

you're going to have to decide either tropical community or cichlids. You won't have longterm success with the current stock in the tank.

So what your saying is when I had them all in the bucket I should of asked this question :eek:. I'm open to suggestions either way, I would like this tank to be successful. So it would probably be easiest to catch the red tail and gourami and go with a tanganyikan tank, but I really don't want a rock aquascape (I have rock work in sw tanks, and love the look of all the nice planted tanks on here) can the nyikans live in a planted tank or should I catch them and attempt to re-home them and go community?

That does look like a clown pleco. For the cichlids, I would ask around in the cichlid section for an ID. It will help you figure out what direction you want to go in because then you can research them and check out tank requirements.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well after doing a little research it seems I have 2 options.
1 get rid of the chi child's and go community, only problem with that would be re-homing the chichlids (and catching them, which probably means another day if tearing apart everything and putting it back together) as the only lfs near me that carries that type of diversity doesn't accept fish so I'd have to find some one local.
2 get rid of the other 2 (possibly 3) and keep the chichlids. It would be easier as petsmart/petco would accept these back, and they'd probably be easier to catch since it's less fish.

Now if I go with option 2 could I add some rocks and tweak my existing scape and still go with some low light plants/moss or would I have to get rid of the driftwood and rescape the tank with all rock? And what would be compatible with the cichlids I have now that would be more of a open water swimmer? And a good cori-esq type fish for scavenging/cleaning up any food that hits the bottom that would also be compatible?

Ps. Sorry for the novel :(

Current chichlid stock is
1- neolamprologus brevis
1-lamprologus occellatus
1-altolamprologus calvus
2-neolamprologus brichardi

Those little guys will ultimately get bullied by the bigger ones. Brevis really can't compete with calvus. Also, you have the possibility for brichardi to pair up and wreak havoc. You need to streamline down what you want to do. Not all cichlids are compatible just because they are cichlids. I don't see a way around tearing your tank apart a bit to catch fish out of it. You will likley have to do the same thing to catch any of them, so I wouldn't make a decision based on wether or not some fish are harder to catch. I usually have a crazy time trying to catch any sort of pleco.
I am a bit confused by your rehoming options though. Sorry. Are you saying your local store will take the community fish but not the cichlids? Do you only have 1 store locally? If that is the case, you can do a craigslist ad or similar sales site or FB group of something of that nature.

No I imagine petco/petsmart would take the chichlids, but not being something they normally carry so I bet they'd get dumped in the asstd cichlid tank and get bullied or die. The one fw store in my area that does carry (or at least did) doesn't accept fish from the public. I'm sure there are other stores that may carry them in my area but after not having any fw set ups for over 7 years now, I don't know of them.

I guess I'll just have to do a little more reading and decide which route to go. Cleaning up this tank is kinda turning into a pain.

Well I've decided I'm just going to let this tank ride as it is until we move in march. Will probably be putting an ad up early next year trying to rehome the fish I need to rehome, and doing some planning between now and then. Picked up some rocks on the way home from work to make the cichlids feel more comfortable. Pretty happy with the new aquascape and the cichlids seem to like the new caves/over hangs.

FTS

Left side

Right side

Can't really tell from the pic but there's a good 2" between the light brown shelf rock and the sand. I plan on attaching some java moss to the driftwood and top slanted shelf rock on the right, the white rock in the center and the brown rock on the left, and maybe another java fern or 2 and call it a day.

Keep us updated

Fishobsessed7

Will do.

Picked up some java moss yesterday, may have gone overboard :eek:, but either way it calls for a photo dump (if you've seen my reef thread you know I'm a big fan of photo dumps :D )

Made an additional cave/territory instead of the big rock for the left side

Right side

Bad shot of the over hang, the black sand makes it tough

Center

Left side

And the FTS, think this scape would look better in a 20 long but oh well...

Back
Top Bottom