Restocking 10 Gallon..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youngfishkeeper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

So I am wondering what you would stock in a 10 Gallon moderately planted tank. Right now I have 3 African Cichlids but I am trying to sell/get rid of them. It has a sand substrate btw...

Thanks

Are the 3 cichlids in the 10 because if so you can't add anything until they're not. Also I assume you know they can't be in a ten, even as juvies.

Past that 10 gallons limits your options. I would suggest some (8-10) fancy guppies. Maybe a beta or possibly some smaller tetras. Shrimp can live in smaller tanks. Depends on what your after.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with guppies. Very beautiful cheap little fish. They are big breeders tho so be careful!

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Are the 3 cichlids in the 10 because if so you can't add anything until they're not. Also I assume you know they can't be in a ten, even as juvies.

Past that 10 gallons limits your options. I would suggest some (8-10) fancy guppies. Maybe a beta or possibly some smaller tetras. Shrimp can live in smaller tanks. Depends on what your after.

Yes, the 3 Cichlids are all in the 10
Gallon right now, minimum aggression though.

6 celestial pearl danios, 2 scarlet badies, cherry shrimp, zebra nerites, and your choice of color on ramshorn snails.

Aren't most danios suggested for 20+ gallons due to being active swimmers? I think you could keep them in a 10, but may not see fully natural tank behavior. They are pretty schooling in a 20 long.

Celestial pearl danios are micro fish, they are only bout an inch long. That's why you can do a school in a 10 gallon

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a dwarf gourami and 5 pygmy corys in my 10 gallon (plan on adding a 1-2 more corys soon as well)

If you have a good fish store or are able to order online, there are a ton of nano fish options that are great like the celestial pearl danios mentioned as well as things like ember tetras, Norman's lampeye kills, and chili rasboras.
If you do not have those options and are limited to common pet store stock, your choices revolve around a few guppies, or a few platies, or a betta and some neons, or a dwarf gourami or honey gourami with some neons. Shelldwellers are another great idea.
But, first thing is first and make sure you rehome the fish you have. See if you can take them back to the store you got them at or to anyplace that takes in fish. You will not likely get your money back or get any sort of store credit, but even chain stores will take in fish they can house.

Back
Top Bottom