Restocking...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codefox

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, after giving my tank a few weeks to ensure that the ick outbreak was over, I decided on Friday to start restocking. Sadly the ick killed off nearly all of my fish. Of the 9 bleeding hearts I had and the 6 juli cories, I had one bh and one cory left. Treatment was difficult since I left town right as the outbreak occured and my heater didn't appear to function properly.

I've since removed the heater (which the guy at the LFS said he heard many problems with) and replaced it with a Hydor inline heater. I am very glad to have less in the tank now so I can't complain about that.

I also was never very happy with the Bleeding Hearts. They were always very timid despite being the only fish in the tank until the addition of the cories. They never came to the surface to eat which was very weird. So I've gone back to Red Eyes which I happen to really like. I've started back with six of them. Interestingly this has made the remaining BH far less timid and he even schools with the REs, joining them at the surface to feed for the first time. I am thinking of adding two more REs to the school after I give the tank some time to adjust to the bioload.

Also thinking of maybe 4 julis this time instead of 6. I was hoping to be adding Angels by now but the ick has put that on hold until after the tank is re-established with the other fish. Also thinking of maybe adding a few hatchetfish.

I think I'll be happier with the Red Eyes...I was a little sorry that the BHs weren't working out. And the plants look great so overall things are looking ok :)

what size is the tank? it sou8nds like a good group of schoolers but if the tank is large enough i would say add another school of different tetra to add more life. once the angles are added also the fish will school mich closer together. any pictures?

Its a 55g. I've thought about doing two schools but wasn't sure if the tank could handle two schools of tetras, the angels and the cories.

tank-9-1-06.png

I'm going to take that one fake driftwood out too and put in another peice of real driftwood.[/img]

What is your filtration like? I have 3 schools of tetras, 2 angels, cories....you get the drift, in my 55g. Its a bit overstocked I know, but I have a Rena XP3 and its heavily planted.

You have plants and it looks like you have a cannister filter, so I think you could go with 2 schools. Two schools of 8 with the angels and cories would be fine! :)

i agree with justonemore. u the cannister filter and plants will take care of any additional filtration that is needed. u could easily house 3 schools of 8 tetras 2 angles and around 6 cories. i like the tank layout but may i suggest u cut all your stem plants in half and replant next to themselves. this will greatly thicken the appearance of the plants and be more appealing to the tank. the fish will love there new home.

I'll go with the 2 schools then for now...I've definately overstocked tanks in the past when I felt my filtration was up to it but that will still take a little time.

And I have definately been doing just that with those plants. They're growing so fast! I started with a much smaller number of them. I have been trimming every few weeks. I just cut them all last Friday. I'll probably do so again either this Friday or next ;)

Here's the tank about a month ago :

tank2.JPG

lol sorry i meant 2 schools of 8. tank looks good but that first pic taken with the fash really kills the appearance of it.

Looks really good. And I agree that two different schools of 6-9 fish would be really cool in the tank. Lots of interaction, hopefully and lots of racing around the tank.

BTW, what is the plant in the middle of the first picture? I really like that one. The really big tree looking one.

Back
Top Bottom