Result of build up of metals in tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swishyfishies

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok now put this in laymans terms for me.

For the people to don't use a RO or RO/DI unit to filter their tank water, what happens to their tank & fish over time as a result of not filtering out those hard metals from their water?

what happens to their tank & fish over time as a result of not filtering out those hard metals from their water?

Well, you ask some pretty tough questions. IMO, not much. Reg water changes will slow accumulation, use of GAC will reduce quite a bit of it, and use of a protien skimmer will reduce even more. There is some speculation that metal and trace element build up is resposible for "Old Tank Syndrome" this is typically found in tanks that use a DSB. If this is for a FO tank, I wouldn't sweat it, the main reason most use RO/DI is because the metals and other minerals tend to be algae accelerators. I have run many a FO tank for years using dechlorinated tap water, I do believe though that the use of RO or RO/DI water is a better option and will help you maintain a cleaner, healthier tank. I use RO water purchased from the machines in Walmart for .25 per gallon, I spot check it for phosphate and nitrate on a regular basis and haven't had a problem. Of course a RO filter is a better choice in the long run, I just don't want to go to the expense right now.

I also use the Machine outside of my local grocery store. I use de-chlor tap in quick top offs and I do not have any detectable nuisance algae...I cannot justify purchasing a RO/DI right now...If I owned my own home maybe, but, needs come first...

Thanks for the replies. Tough questions huh reefrunner, I just trying to learn more indepth on things that's all. :D

I suppose it also depends on your overall quality of water in your area. Places with naturaly hard water would benfit more from a RO unit.

Back
Top Bottom